Discuss 17th Edition Periodic report changes in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

Mike P

Hi All.
Under the new reg there has been a few additions on the periodic report
the section I am interested in is the section "schedule of items inspected"
there is a new tick section labled
"Cables incorporating earthed armour, sheathed or run in all earthed wireing system or otherwise protected against nails, Screws and the Like"
If the house is pre jully i.e. before 17th. Do yo put N/A or X in the box?
Most houses before new build from jully would have capping and no rcd new as I understand steel earthed conduit or RCD.
I hope you can help.

Mike

Hi All.
Under the new reg there has been a few additions on the periodic report
the section I am interested in is the section "schedule of items inspected"
there is a new tick section labled
"Cables incorporating earthed armour, sheathed or run in all earthed wireing system or otherwise protected against nails, Screws and the Like"
If the house is pre jully i.e. before 17th. Do yo put N/A or X in the box?
Most houses before new build from jully would have capping and no rcd new as I understand steel earthed conduit or RCD.
I hope you can help.

Mike
Hello Mike

If you have not changed the cable and it was installed prior to 1st of july this year it is ok, but if you are installing the cable it must be to BS7671:2008 Chapter 52 page 96.
Frank

would it be a code 4 .does not comply with current regs ,no action needed??

would it be a code 4 .does not comply with current regs ,no action needed??

i would code it as a 4, i have been teaching my 2391 students for while that most houses now will have a big 4 against them, but in reply to the original question, it should be an 'X' not an 'N/A'

N/A would be, for example, 'non-conducting location' because there isnt one, but the cables are installed, just not with earthed metal covering etc etc so its an 'X'.

Interesting you mention this. I have software on my laptop that enables me to fill out a PIR along with other certs. It has the "old" 16th edition versions along with the new ones. I use it because its quick to fill out plus the completed certificates look professional when you hand them over. The only hand written part being my signature.

Im pretty sure that the 17th edition version for a PIR doesnt have what youve mentioned in its list. Possibly a software error by whoever put it together.

I better check.

Interesting you mention this. I have software on my laptop that enables me to fill out a PIR along with other certs. It has the "old" 16th edition versions along with the new ones. I use it because its quick to fill out plus the completed certificates look professional when you hand them over. The only hand written part being my signature.

Im pretty sure that the 17th edition version for a PIR doesnt have what youve mentioned in its list. Possibly a software error by whoever put it together.

I better check.

the schedule of inspections has major differences between the 16th and 17th, (methods of protection etc), it might be worth checking yours against the model on page 341 (think its that aint got it in front of me) in the regs

Yes, I see now there are changes between 16th and 17th schedule of inspections.

It seems the software I use that boasts its 17th edition ready, clearly isnt. Ah well it only cost me a few bob on Ebay lol, it served me well.

Does anyone else use a computer to compile your reports or are you pen and paper people? What ones do you use? I am aware of easycert but seems a bit pricey from what ive been told.

Mike P you mentioned in the opening post that there are a few changes with PIRs. What are the others? Anything else I should be made aware of?

Strange these alterations were'nt brought to our attention when I did my 17th update course.

Hi Rob.
If you look in the BS 7671:2008 (17th edition regs) Page 340 that is where the changes are. extra boxes,Felv,electrical separation & cables and conductors etc.
I use a computer programme originaly the 16th edition I ended up starting from scratch in word and recently amended it to comply with the 17th. The only danger with it I find is you get lazy and dont check all the boxes properly using a master as a template it is easy to miss things, But it does look good.
I take a blank copy, fill it out by hand and transfer the info into the computer.

Mike

I take a blank copy, fill it out by hand and transfer the info into the computer.

Thats what I always did too Mike. Took a copy with me to complete by hand on the job then copied it over onto my laptop at home.

Can you Email me your version of the 17th schedule of inspections Mike? I may be able to incorporate into mine to replace the 16th one. Id have a go myself but I wouldnt say im that confident with computers.

Rob.

Hi Ian.
yes that's correct. I just went through all the report forms and updated them.

Rob if you drop me your e-mail address I will forward on my PIR. You might want to tweek it but providing it conforms to the regs no problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone else use a computer to compile your reports or are you pen and paper people? What ones do you use? I am aware of easycert but seems a bit pricey from what ive been told.

I have been using a software from 'castline' for a few years now. Its a license based system re-newable yearly. It could be considered a bit pricey but regular updates with new CD's and a very helpfull help line
make it good value to me.

Reply to 17th Edition Periodic report changes in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock