Discuss 17th edition, wiring regs. full scope part p. in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

V

villlayouth

i have recently completed these course's and wondering were i go from here,what work can i do, what work can i not do,can i inspect and test without been qualified as long as competent.which certification body can i join with these qualification and indeed is the defined scope,full scope reconized as a qualification as such or merely a course to prove competentency,

so you have

17th Edition
VRQ level 2

i would suggest joining a scheme (NIC, Elecsa, Napit) and start getting small jobs in to build confidence in your self and ability. also get to practice what you were taught!

for extra qualifications i would look towards enrolling on the NVQ 3 before it gets suspended in March.
also if you wish to prove competence in testing and Inspection of domestic property's i would go for 2392 to get a grasp of basic things!

unfortunately full/defined scope courses mean jack diddle squit in terms of employment eyes!! its a mix blob of things thrown under one banner advertised by a training establishment and backed up by EAL or who ever accredit it!....

if you wish to undergo a suitable qualification in the theory i would look to the 2330 or even a Btec equivalent course i like i did with ICS Learn.... it will take 18m + and cost you 600 quid but i enjoyed it and although it has no practical element it teaches all the theory as the 2330 (ideal if in the trade)

What is this European funding you referred to John ?? I am wanting to do the 17th update and my 2391/2392, but lack of funds are making it very difficult for me at the moment .

can i do minor work{spur for boiler) and can i inspect and test as shown or do i have to get some one in,bare in mind, treat question as if i was a member of niceic or who ever, and if this was the case can i certify to building control, basically i am a gas engineer/plumber by trade and want to be able to do the wiring for combi boilers, heating systems, and possibly showers etc,and can i go right back to the consumer unit with my diddle sqquit two bit full scope rubbish, ha ha no hard feelings,totally understand,and last one,could you fit a mcb instead of an rcb to stop nuisance tripping on a boiler circuit or is there any other way of doing it on an existing installation,or would you spur it of a ring and do what at cu,sorry if i'm not making sense, i'm at a very basic level but enjoying the learning,your help would be appreciated thanks

if the boiler is on a dedicated fused spur, and the cable feeding it was surface mount ( not buried in plaster) then you could replace the RCBO with a MCB, but then you fall foul of the " leaving the installation in a less safe condition" . better to rectify the fault on the boiler that is causing the RCBO to trip. IMO.

to prevent nuisance tripping like the situation with a freezer to avoid loss,what is done as an acceptable alternative and do you fit rcbo as norm in all situation

to prevent nuisance tripping like the situation with a freezer to avoid loss,what is done as an acceptable alternative and do you fit rcbo as norm in all situation

If you fit RCBO, your still gna have the nuisance tripping like an RCD, it's the same thing incorporates into an MCB.
To avoid this you would put it on a dedicated circuit labelled specifically for a freezer. To avoid having an RCD to protect the circuit you would need the circuit to be either surface mounted or at a depth of more than 50mm (unlikely) the cable would need mechanical protection from an earthed sheathing or earthed conduit.
These things are pretty basic so please make sure you feel competent before undertaking joining a scheme. There's no rush in doing it cause it's alot of money.

If you fit RCBO, your still gna have the nuisance tripping like an RCD, it's the same thing incorporates into an MCB.
To avoid this you would put it on a dedicated circuit labelled specifically for a freezer. To avoid having an RCD to protect the circuit you would need the circuit to be either surface mounted or at a depth of more than 50mm (unlikely) the cable would need mechanical protection from an earthed sheathing or earthed conduit.
These things are pretty basic so please make sure you feel competent before undertaking joining a scheme. There's no rush in doing it cause it's alot of money.

point taken,i have no need to rush,call it an interest to one,s self occupied.

nic wont want to know unless u have 12 months experience. napit will want a c&g2391 cert within 12 months .elecsa are no probs. u can only do rewires and cu replacements on full scope. defined scope is only 4 additions to existing circuits

Reply to 17th edition, wiring regs. full scope part p. in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net