Discuss 17th exam..What parts of the book are you tagging? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

T

TPES

Hi

I have my 17th regs next month, full course.

Could you tell me what parts of the book you are tagging for quick reference.. What parts are the tutor telling you to tab?

I have brought an exam simultor of the 2382, and want to practice.

Just want to tab the right sections of the book that will help the most.

Thanks all

In all honesty you need to tab ALL of it :D

The GOLA exams are pot luck as everyone has different questions in the exam room.

Your tutor should be able to point you in the right direction, however, when i did mine, i wasnt asked ANY questions on what our tutor told us to highlight.

However, i would suggest disconnection times, EFLI, special locations, PV supplies.

Thats a good start anyway and im sure some others may have some pointers!

i would also suggest tagging Installation methods and de-rating factors pages ie. Ca Cg Ci . I have also tagged current carrying capacity and volt drops for the different cable types across the bottom of the book. Basically use these tags as a way of splitting this massive boring book up a bit. as long as you mark key areas, then all other info is that bit easier to find. You could use the index but im sure you know how frustrating that can be

It's a good idea just to spend an evening or two browsing through in order to familiarize youself with the layout in general to improve the speed at which you are able to navigate the BS during the exam and therefore save time.

My tags were numerous, but would definitely say start by tagging definitions and any appendix you think will help you. The periodic inspection form on p340 was useful as a quick reference and memory jogger I found also.

Sid - In the back of your Regs book (notes) do yourself a quick reference list for the areas that you think you are important and you might need reference to i.e:

• Disconnection Times (Table 52.2) P46
  • Disconnection Times Fuses / MCB P243-251
  • Earth Loop Impedance Tables P46-49
  • Volt Drop P358
Better to list it A-Z or lowest to highest page downwards.

When a question pops up you can get to it quickly without trawling through the index and because the regs book is a working document (like highlighting) you can make reference in your notes.

Personally I think putting the tags on the pages can get messy and hinder you but thats only my opinion.

Hope this helps! ;)

Warren

Be clear on:

Maximum disconnection times, table 41.1
Max Zs 4.12
Max EFLI, table 41.6
De-rating
Read section 7 thoroughly to answer by memory.
App 3.

But it's really about how well you know you way around the book.

Magic Sid

Little tip. I bought these 2 books

Technical Training Solutions - Amicus Electricians Guide Books

Which are allowed in the exam room. For most of the questions the referencing is easier. Table reference at front is good. For my exam, most of the answers came from here. It was only certain ones that i needed full 17th edition.
For £12 for the 2 its a no brainer. And easy to carry round on site.
I also had 5 question with the answer 30ma RCD
Good Luck Fella

I agree with WarrenG tags just get confusing, I found it to be a lot quicker to use the index and then speed read the relevant section.

WarrenG is right. In the notes section at the back of the regs write the title and page number of all the charts you need,
ie thermal efects 52.2 Pg 104
Ambient temp 4B1 Pg 267.

There's half a dozen or so of blank pages so plenty of space, also I assume you will be going through some old papers, any question that you come across that you find dificult, make a note with a relevent heading and page number.

the 2382 exams are based on look up answers therefore your tutor should have taught you how to use the book quickly to find answers

eg. picking out keywords in the question such as `disconnection` `protection``additional protection` etc

conversion of words such as fuse or mcb to `protective device`

how to find tables quickly eg any table without a letter is in the main part of the book eg table 41.2 is in part 4 chapter 41
tables with letters say 4D5 are in the appendices
tag the first table in each section so that you know the others are after the tag as some are way into the chapter, saves time thumbing through

the weighting is on part 4,5 and 7 which equates to over 60% of the questions, 60% and above is a pass

study the tables in chapter 41 and mark the 5 sec disc 41.4 as distibution circuits, remember 0.4 secs 41.2 for ALL final up to and inc 32 amps with the exception of distribution circuits

the 2382 iet/c&g exam success book may be worth buying

the questions are random and follow roughly the standard form start to finish, the singly most important thing is to read the question carefully, look for the `not` `is` `allowed` `not allowed` `are` `are not`phrases in the question

when can a water pipe be used as an earth electrde ?

what is the max tabulated Zs for a 20 amp bs88-6 protected circuit feeding a 2 way board in a garage ?

what colour is the protective conductor for a felv supply?

and finally the only book allowed in the exam room is BS7671 together with a blank notepad, a non programmable calculator and a pen

ps make sure your calculator a square root function

and finally the only book allowed in the exam room is BS7671 together with a blank notepad, a non programmable calculator and a pen

ps make sure your calculator a square root function[/quote]

Beg to differ. The Amicus Books are allowed in the exam room. My College will give you note paper in the exam room and do not allow you to bring your own.

the latest from C&G is that all 17th edition books taken into exams are clean, no writing no highlighting no tags, just the book as bought

the latest from C&G is that all 17th edition books taken into exams are clean, no writing no highlighting no tags, just the book as bought

That`s correct but nobody is checking your book,
I have passed today with Able skills,
and I think spending a £450 for the course is wasting money.
Just book an exam, get some mock exam papers from e-bay,
practice couple of days at home and get it...easy!
Pass mark is 60% only...

all i tabbed were the chapters and appendices...and zs values and trip times ...I did try to tab more when I did my regs exam but it just ended up being too confusing and I found I used the index more than the tabs anyway! I wrote in the back any tables I may need and where I could find them like correction factors etc....

I found using the index was the best way for me even though i had tags everywhere.
its quite easy to reference specific areas using the index and all i did was highlight any key words or figures within these areas on the actual page with a highlighter so they jumped out at me instead of searching the text. best of luck;)

Last edited:
It was my first day today of the 3 day course.

I actually enjoyed it, the tutor was a bit of a comedian and made us all laugh, we had free tea and coffe all day. We all got a free NIC study book on the wiring regs, thicker than the actual regs book. very handy.

Were working through the details of each section of the regs book and then answering a set of actual city and guilds exam questions on each of the sections.

The collage im at is rated 2nd for electrical tution in all areas, throughout the whole of the UK. With a brand new 5 million pound technology block.

The tutor has said the ONLY BOOKS ALLOWED in the exam are the regs book and no other books. you can have what ever tabs in it you like and write in it what you like.

At the collage out of 500 people who have taken the full 2382 exam only 4 have ever failed.

Im feeling more confident and dont see there being any problems on the day.

Ill keep you posted..

hi all 1st post.
at the moment city and guilds states all copeis of BS7671 must be clean for use in exams.(no tags) and the on site guide is no longer to be taken in to the exam.

My exam day today!!

But the hole thing is canceled due to the severe snow. Im gutted! The book is all fresh in my head, Now they've canceled it.. Hopefully be resceduled for the next couple of days.

The City and Guilds invidulators have informed us that the only book allowed in the exam is the regs book, no OSG or anything else.
However we can have what ever notes we like in our regs book. write in it what we like and have the book full of tabs if you like.. We have even been given printed out tables and have been told these are ok to be taken into the exam ASLONG as they are FIXED into the back of the regs book (notes) eg.Stuck in.. No loose documents

hi everybody
I am not being funny but i overheard that you can have a 17th edition book (the red bog one) at the exam and you can use it while you are sitting the exam, is it true?

Reply to 17th exam..What parts of the book are you tagging? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock