Discuss 18 th Edition questions in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
There are two questions that Ive been unable to locate in the regs book;

1. If the line conductor is 10mm2, the min size of of an associated Surge Protection Device connection conductor is?

2. A 230 V 30 A radial circuit is protected by a BS 3036 device. If the value of earth loop impedance for the circuit is 2.3@ (I think means amps?), disconnection under line/earth fault condtion will occur in:

2s, 4s, 5s, 3s?

Thanks

Not sure on 1 as i'm not at my book.

For 2 you need to use the supplied values to work out the prospective fault current and use the tables in appx 3 to find the answer.

As for the second question it will be ohms and ohms law

You will need to find the time curve chart for the actual tabulated trio times for 3036 fuses

I feel a John Ward moment coming on and wanting to pass 100a through a 3Oa fuse wire to see how long it takes to blow...

I bet it’s a dang sight longer than a few seconds :)

Many thanks, so @ was in fact Ohms and not Amps. 230/2.3 = 100. In tables is 3 seconds. Cheers
I'll take your word for that as not with my book to see the tables ... but sounds good.
Annoying misprint, but maybe it is to do with a technical error with software not recognised the ohm symbol. What study material are you using ?

the exam paper states 4mm, 6mm, 10mm or 2.5mm. With the correct answer apparently being 4mm
Hi - yes, I thought that might happen. The reg clearly states the connection to MET is a minimum of 6mm and 2.5mm min for the live. The live size used depends on the circuit overload protective device, which you are not given. If it was 32A, I’d pick 6mm etc. With the Wylex board mounted SPD they provide 16mm (edit - maybe 10mm, brain fade sorry) for all connections.

Reply to 18 th Edition questions in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock