SuperlecDirect - ElectriciansForums.net Electrical Suppliers
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss 18 th Edition questions in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

Jonathan Swift

-
Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

There are two questions that Ive been unable to locate in the regs book;

1. If the line conductor is 10mm2, the min size of of an associated Surge Protection Device connection conductor is?

2. A 230 V 30 A radial circuit is protected by a BS 3036 device. If the value of earth loop impedance for the circuit is [email protected] (I think means amps?), disconnection under line/earth fault condtion will occur in:

2s, 4s, 5s, 3s?

Thanks

Aico 3000
Wetroom Store - Network Wetroom Suppliers
D

Dustydazzler

-
Esteemed
Arms
Found this video about SPDs quite informative, and might cover your question iirc

Andy78

Andy78

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Not sure on 1 as i'm not at my book.

For 2 you need to use the supplied values to work out the prospective fault current and use the tables in appx 3 to find the answer.

D

Dustydazzler

-
Esteemed
Arms
As for the second question it will be ohms and ohms law

You will need to find the time curve chart for the actual tabulated trio times for 3036 fuses

Wilko

Wilko

-
Esteemed
Arms
Hi - take a look at Reg 534.4.10 for SPD conductor sizes :) .

J

Jonathan Swift

-
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Not sure on 1 as i'm not at my book.

For 2 you need to use the supplied values to work out the prospective fault current and use the tables in appx 3 to find the answer.
Many thanks, so @ was in fact Ohms and not Amps. 230/2.3 = 100. In tables is 3 seconds. Cheers

J

Jonathan Swift

-
I have done, on page 170. But it doesnt correspond to the apparent correct answer on the exam paper...

J

Jonathan Swift

-
the exam paper states 4mm, 6mm, 10mm or 2.5mm. With the correct answer apparently being 4mm

D

Dustydazzler

-
Esteemed
Arms
I feel a John Ward moment coming on and wanting to pass 100a through a 3Oa fuse wire to see how long it takes to blow...

I bet it’s a dang sight longer than a few seconds :)

Andy78

Andy78

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Many thanks, so @ was in fact Ohms and not Amps. 230/2.3 = 100. In tables is 3 seconds. Cheers
I'll take your word for that as not with my book to see the tables ... but sounds good.
Annoying misprint, but maybe it is to do with a technical error with software not recognised the ohm symbol. What study material are you using ?

J

Jonathan Swift

-
Ive used quite a few but these two are from sparky facts online page. Thanks for your help, I'm wondering if the second question is just the wrong answer

Andy78

Andy78

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Ive used quite a few but these two are from sparky facts online page. Thanks for your help, I'm wondering if the second question is just the wrong answer
Thought it might be that site. It's full of errors and out of date questions and answers. Best avoided.

uHeat Banner - Forum Discount Available

Reply to 18 th Edition questions in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Bulk Workwear - Clothing Suppliers for the Whole Forum Network
Top Bottom