Discuss 18 years to qualify!!!! Additional CU or not? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
A up peoples, first post so here goes.
Let you know who I am first, left school 18 years ago and signed up as an apprentice site sparky, employers went bust after 3 years and I was placed at a much larger company which also had a vacancy for an apprentice engineer on much wonga, binned the sparky kit and got some spanners. Always dabbled with sparky stuff for friends n family but never did major stuff (rewires/cu's) and since sPlat P has been introduced less n less I am allowed to do. I am a full time fire bobby and have a few days to allow legal moonlighting to subsidise my diminishing pension pot. So, much to my demise I decided to take the cowgirl route and do the 6 week course (so in total 3years 6weeks). Bah eck the 2391 written was a twitcher ;)

Anyway 2 questions
1. I lived in a fire house and rent mine out which is vacant until next week. Have already applied for Elecsa but no assessment til january :( Can anybody tell me if there is any legal reason why I cannot do a PIR/ECR (obviously I would have to make my own set of relevant test/inspection sheets). I am aware ELECSA do an ECR registration at ÂŁ240ish above normal registration but also state on the normal registration form that you are permitted to do PIR/ECR's the mind boggles!!!!

2. I now live in a 2 bed bungalow (gave up the fire house but kept the rental one) and will be adding a kitchen, lounge, utility, bedroom and ensuite to the rear of the bungalow and YEP the meter n CU are at the front. There will be 4 new circuits to include a beefy 12kw induction hob :(, kitchen n ensuite lights, lounge n bedroom ring, kitchen ring. 25metersish from present CU to middle of extension and more bends in the run than a champion bob-sleigh track!!! Option1 2nd CU from isolator at meter OR Option2 send all cables down the bob-sleigh route

ps the bobsleigh route is through the garage and through the bungalow crawl space so whopper cables aren't an issue, although the 60amp cut out is!!!!
pss don't know why she wants the hob, she cant cook!! eerrrr please don't include original message in any replies

Sorry for monster post

All advice n banter welcome

you dont have to be registered with anyone to do EICRs which have taken over from the PIRs and you can download free versions of the IET plus there are some free ones knocking about on this forum
there is also a free software for EICs and MEIWCs its called formfill by castline it used to allow you to edit and print PIRs now since the new amendment only allows EICs and MEIWCs so jsut use a handwritten EICRs free from the IET

The additional ELECSA registrstion for PIRs is more if you are doing lots of these e.g. for local authorities, insurers etc, who want to see some evidence of assessment. You don't actually need such an assessment to do them, you just need to be competent (e.g. by having passed C&G 2391, or 2395).

Last edited:
you dont have to be registered with anyone to do EICRs which have taken over from the PIRs and you can download free versions of the IET plus there are some free ones knocking about on this forum
there is also a free software for EICs and MEIWCs its called formfill by castline it used to allow you to edit and print PIRs now since the new amendment only allows EICs and MEIWCs so jsut use a handwritten EICRs free from the IET

Cheers brucelee, downloaded the software for iPhone and seems quite comprehensive, I think an iPad may work better with my sausage fingers ;)

thanks SJD insurance and authorities explains the reason for the extra assessment. I hope to be doing 10 PIR's a year hopefully all in private rented. As a guide for pricing what would people charge for a 3hr PIR? I have seen them advertised nationally from ÂŁ67+vat but wonder about thoroughness.

eicr's can take from 3 hours to a full day ( domestic) , some commercial and industrial can take weeks. assuming you are doing domestic, charge by the hour/day, or charge by the number of circuits, ÂŁ20-ÂŁ30 per circuit is about average. always discuss with the client first as to limitations of the inspection.

ÂŁ67 is likely to be a starting price for a visual only cert. Got to sell your services without underselling yourself or the trade. A 6 circuit domestic should take about 4 hours plus the paperwork. Daily rate plus your liability should get you ÂŁ200+ minimum.

Reply to 18 years to qualify!!!! Additional CU or not? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net