Discuss 18th ed Arc Fault Devices - £120 each! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Well in the video the guy carefully hints at somethings... and talks about the boards being the 2 row versions, rather than one long one. given the firms sit on the panel, i would not be at all surprised if they are not demanding they stay in the final version of 18th as they will put £ signs above the real likelihood of risk/safety requirement -sledgehammer and walnut come to mind! these would basically add around £400-500 quid to a board change.... can see the customers face already...
Had I done it before Christmas 2018 I could have done it under the 17th and avoided these expensive things. but now its February 2019 I have to install them and charge you an extra £500!!!
Two questions Gavin 1.How come you have a copy I thought it wasn't published until today (1st July) & 2. I thought it was to the designed date not the installation date.

18th ed Arc Fault Devices - £120 each! 9DE972B4-487E-4620-9138-10266E49E69B - EletriciansForums.net
"I let him get as far as Glasgow, couldn’t be bothered to watch any more."
Well, Spinlondon, if you had continued you would have seen the strategically placed Greggs coffee cup which might have meant it was filmed in Glasgow...
Rubbish video anyway, so stilted, background noise, poorly edited, and oh yes, they are in the shops now, but he only "thinks" the price-point (what?) will be "about" £120...well, what bludi price are they???
Is this your back garden @pirate - ‘tis full of ahaardy perennials’.

Two questions Gavin 1.How come you have a copy I thought it wasn't published until today (1st July) & 2. I thought it was to the designed date not the installation date.
Dont have a copy... should have it within next 48 hours... as i pre ordered.. i am scared to go out incase i miss the courier!:):eek:o_O.... I will likely skip straight to the on site guide for the simple version then go back to the big book... there are copies floating around and likely many people on this forum have copies as those with right connections had them before the official release tomorrow. but were under orders not to divulge the contents! maybe at 1 minute pass midnight the forum will be awash with people uploading the mystery contents!

Dont have a copy... should have it within next 48 hours... as i pre ordered.. i am scared to go out incase i miss the courier!:):eek:o_O.... I will likely skip straight to the on site guide for the simple version then go back to the big book... there are copies floating around and likely many people on this forum have copies as those with right connections had them before the official release tomorrow. but were under orders not to divulge the contents! maybe at 1 minute pass midnight the forum will be awash with people uploading the mystery contents!
Saddo.

haha ... well will have to buy them at some point so bought a bundle to save the £££s. As soon as the dpd courier message arrives i will have it sent to a pick up point so the thieving scallies who moved in to my building on the ground floor dont have it away.
Get it delivered too site. Thats what I do with alot of my personal deliveries now.

We need to start a "movement" to block the mandatory introduction of these devices

IMHO and for starters manufacturers should NOT be allowed to advise on ANY of the regs changes
It's an interesting point. I know that the Technical Committee TC2 responsible for the Wiring Rules in the south of Ireland has always prohibited manufacturers from being part of TC2.

Perhaps JPEL/64 should adopt a similar position.

The Electrical Surveyors at our company have been on seminars regarding the 18th edition and the impending changes. Apparently the TT'ing and Arc protective devices have been put back to amd 1 with the wording changed to "they may be used" due to the controversy caused by having wylex/Crabtree etc honchos on the council deciding the changes and it's getting accused of being a money making scam. Allegedly the arc protective devices are only compatible with the miniature rcbos too which is an added expense.

I let him get as far as Glasgow, couldn’t be bothered to watch any more.

Ditto. Quite why he felt need to mention the fire at the Glasgow Art School is strange given that the cause of the blaze was flammable gases from a foam canister. Maybe amendment 1 will require Arc Fault Detection Devices to be fitted to cans of expanding foam. :rolleyes:

Reply to 18th ed Arc Fault Devices - £120 each! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock