Discuss 18th ed Arc Fault Devices - £120 each! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Gavin John Hyde

-
Esteemed
Arms
Patron
Reaction score
Just watched this video on the GSH youtube channel
Crabtree have released there 2 module Arc Fault device, reckon they will be £120 each and needed on basically all non light circuits.
They dont say specifically but were 'hinting' as the video was likely made last week and would be interested if anybody has there 18th edition books already (mine come early this week) what it actually says.
I can see £120 per circuit adding quite a bit of money to the cost of a new CU.. will be a hard sell to the customer... hopefully the 6 month grace period means they will come down in price quite quickly.

Besides a 14 way consumer unit being 4feet wide - at least we won’t be able to fit them under stairs anymore.
Someone needs to start telling the DIY Daves (sorry Dave, didn’t mean you) so they can be updated on what they’ll need to leave out and be oblivious to!
I personally don’t think it’ll make it to the table BUT I’m going to the cinema on Wednesday morning so along with my coffee, cake and m+ms (peanut variety) I shall have a reporters style notebook for telling you all the gossip (unless Pete beats me to it)!

Well in the video the guy carefully hints at somethings... and talks about the boards being the 2 row versions, rather than one long one. given the firms sit on the panel, i would not be at all surprised if they are not demanding they stay in the final version of 18th as they will put £ signs above the real likelihood of risk/safety requirement -sledgehammer and walnut come to mind! these would basically add around £400-500 quid to a board change.... can see the customers face already...
Had I done it before Christmas 2018 I could have done it under the 17th and avoided these expensive things. but now its February 2019 I have to install them and charge you an extra £500!!!

I watched that earlier today.

If this device did trip and has detected a arc fault how you go about finding it say if it is on a socket circuit would you just have to take every socket off till you find the loose wire

Agree - I'm having a really hard time understanding this "improvement". Just because it's possible does not make it desirable, let alone mandatory. Can you imagine the"workarounds" that will be developed to skirt this one?

Costing aside there is also the issue of nuisance tripping. This is quite an issue in the States where their Codes require the fitment of these devices with the exception of some areas. The problem being many appliances and circuit switching devices have inherent arcing taking place. So called nuisance tripping of rcd/rcbos can generally be resolved, wait until afds start joining the party.

"I let him get as far as Glasgow, couldn’t be bothered to watch any more."
Well, Spinlondon, if you had continued you would have seen the strategically placed Greggs coffee cup which might have meant it was filmed in Glasgow...
Rubbish video anyway, so stilted, background noise, poorly edited, and oh yes, they are in the shops now, but he only "thinks" the price-point (what?) will be "about" £120...well, what bludi price are they???

Costing aside there is also the issue of nuisance tripping. This is quite an issue in the States where their Codes require the fitment of these devices with the exception of some areas. The problem being many appliances and circuit switching devices have inherent arcing taking place. So called nuisance tripping of rcd/rcbos can generally be resolved, wait until afds start joining the party.
apparently these devices in the video are smart!! can determine good arcing from bad such as motors, appliances etc from poorly terminated and arcing wires.

Reply to 18th ed Arc Fault Devices - £120 each! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock