Discuss 18th edition - any point? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Percyprod

-
Esteemed
Reaction score
With the 18th edition coming out, will this just mean more rules broken? Judging by the number of questions on this forum most electricians struggle with the 17th edition! I assume any installations wired under the 17th edition are now dangerous? Mmm better think about rewiring my stables. Only joking, you know me and the regs!

Hi Percy - I've spend this arvo doing test questions preparing for the exam, only because the Dentist was fully booked. The old book had 496 pages and the new ones got 560 pages of fun :) .
A small-but-big change is the metallic fixings for surface mounted cables and I bet that's going to be ignored by a few.

Hi Percy - I've spend this arvo doing test questions preparing for the exam, only because the Dentist was fully booked. The old book had 496 pages and the new ones got 560 pages of fun :) .
A small-but-big change is the metallic fixings for surface mounted cables and I bet that's going to be ignored by a few.

So would you rather of gone to the Dentist ? :)

It's been said before but let's make the Regs mandatory and prosecute the bastards that break the law .
I'd now be doing a life stretch for failure to apply a mixed colour label. The worst thing that could possibly happen is Bs7671 becoming statutory. There's not one spark on here that hasn't at some point left a job with a minor,not safety related departure from the regs due to a memory lapse. Be careful what you wish for.

I am just waiting for new year and some poor old person to be told they need a full rewire due to not complying with 18th edition. Can see it now, i actually heard somebody(assumed to be an electrician) In toolstation recently telling somebody else at the counter that they don't want that rcd spur for the garage but should instead get a small consumer unit to comply with the 18th edition. The bloke even offered to come quote for the job! made me chuckle! I gave the counter staff a dirty look and he just grinned.
At a job today, customer pressured into having a rewire as all the lights are on one circuit and they only wanted 2 dimmers fitted which means a bit of chasing out for deeper Back boxes! the last 'electrician' kept finding fault to justify more expensive work.
As for

I would have said 'You can't underestimate the importance of doing things to the accepted standard, which is how they should be done'.

Reply to 18th edition - any point? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net