Discuss 18th Edition cash cow for the IET in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

dksanders

-
Arms
Reaction score
So the 18th edition is almost upon us, an event which is fast becoming a regular thing from the IET, either as a new edition or a new series of amendments.

I'm a member of the IET (or the IEE as it was), something that I used to be proud of but now find an embarrassment especially within the trade. The reason for that is because every few years the IET feels the need to generate more money for itself and so issues new amendments or a complete issue of BS7671.

And lets' face it, some of the changes haven't been worth while, e.g. harmonising section numbering with EU regulations, or the change of wiring colours to blue and brown ( why I don't know as I have no intention of taking my house to Europe)

As a minimum for the regulated, qualified, conscientious electrician, this means they have to buy from the IET new copies of BS7671, The On Site Guide, and which ever Guidance Notes are applicable to them; so costing £100's. Every now and then, a top up C&G course is also required.

I have over 30 years, on the job experience and I hold C&G 2381, 2381-20 (17th Upgrade) and 2391. Yet to comply with 18th I'm going to have to take a 3 day top up course costing £520 and with 3 days loss of earnings, and the books, I'll be close to £2,000 out of pocket.

I'm a self employed sole trader doing primarily domestic work; there's only so much you can pass on.

Apparently I have two years in which I need to get that qualification. well it's not going to happen, at that point I'm going to quit being an electrician. So though I say it myself, another competent, qualified, consciencous electrician driven out of business by yet more bureaucracy thereby making way for the unqualified, unregulated, cowboys to step in.

Sorry, just had to get that off my chest as it bugs me so much (and as I was hoping to get into The Electricians Arms)

I was talking about this with a fellow spark and he had the idea of all chipping in together for the digital / pdf versions of the books and then copying it and sharing that way, can just use it on a cheap tablet! not sure if the digital or pdf version will have security features or not but you can see why people are thinking like this given the cost.

I do agree with ya mate, i however have no intention of quiting and doing another job but i do agree that they are just pushing them out and they will probily just keep doing it every few years as they know we will have to buy there books and also take the courses as we have to have them to be able to join a scam sorry scheme.

Its all about the money its really good for them they are earning a fortune but for us we are looseing money.

I was talking about this with a fellow spark and he had the idea of all chipping in together for the digital / pdf versions of the books and then copying it and sharing that way, can just use it on a cheap tablet! not sure if the digital or pdf version will have security features or not but you can see why people are thinking like this given the cost.

I am up for that if your serious about it, and even if they have security on it im sure i could remove it given enough time.

Yet if any of us did go against it and, say refuse to be in a scam and just carry on certifying and giving to the customers only what they expect - ie the EIC EICR or MWC - no one would come after us. No one.
LABC don’t want anything to do with part P so they give it to the schemes to control.
Nothing would happen. Let’s do it - REVOLUTION!
Let’s have a cup of tea first though!

The way the digital books are supplied, you would have to licence the digital copy to e.g. a single laptop then share that one laptop around.

I do agree with ya mate, i however have no intention of quiting and doing another job but i do agree that they are just pushing them out and they will probily just keep doing it every few years as they know we will have to buy there books and also take the courses as we have to have them to be able to join a scam sorry scheme.

Its all about the money its really good for them they are earning a fortune but for us we are looseing money.

Thankfully, and you'll love this, about 5 years ago my wife had an affair with the married vicar. I kid you not. As a result, divorce, and my house was sold at a loss (my pension was in the house) and I was then going to have to work until i died. My pension plan was to be found dried up in someones loft.

I could picture the household eating breakfast around the table... "didn't we used to have an electrician?" ... "yes, he never came back for his money". That was my future.

But (silver lining) my solicitor then showed me a new business which I've since been doing since alongside my electrician business, that has enabled me to be semi-retired and it's that that I'll continue building and doing when I stop being a sparky.

So nice to have that alternative

Just been reading my latest Certsure Connections rag. Think I found dksanders cushty little deal;

£29 to attend 'Live South' event, where they will tell us all about the forthcoming 18th. Couple of pages further in, Certsure has been ranked 41st Sunday Times best company to work for, ohh and them offering bursary to female electricians. Further few pages, 'Out of this World' event, where NICEIC & Elecsa are holding an event at the Faraday Theatre London in July, which is being broadcast around the country to selected cinemas, to broadcast the far reaching changes of the 18th. The event is being promoted not only to contractors and electricians, but also architects, facility managers, local authorities and housing associations. Least they had the wisdom, to charge £5 entry fee, to cover their costs on hiring the theatre & cinemas.

Then there's the pages on about getting your copy of the 18th, for a knock down price of £85! I see where my £534 is going this year.

My fees are due at the end of the month, I'm not looking at renewing.

Thing is, when Rick Steins latest cookbook been out for a while, you can get it for a £5. Why can't the IET offer some deals. Bet the 17th will still cost over £60 when the 18th is published.

Thing is, when Rick Steins latest cookbook been out for a while, you can get it for a £5. Why can't the IET offer some deals. Bet the 17th will still cost over £60 when the 18th is published.

Because doing so would then give the message "ah but don't buy it for the next 6 months because it's sure to be cheaper given time" and then you'd have a load of sparks still working off the 3rd edition while they wait for the 4th edition to be a fiver.

Because doing so would then give the message "ah but don't buy it for the next 6 months because it's sure to be cheaper given time" and then you'd have a load of sparks still working off the 3rd edition while they wait for the 4th edition to be a fiver.

I think you're holding the IET in too much high esteem. I think they just need to make some quick bucks, after holding too many coffee mornings and coming up with ridiculous concepts, like everyone having an earth rod.

Its not as if its a good read.

18th Edition cash cow for the IET 401A9490-050F-4F3F-9C79-83791F0CA3D8 - EletriciansForums.net I got mine today at ELEX at Westpoint Exeter - here is a picture of it with IGOR my butler holding it for the camera!

Confirmed today that Earth Rods will not be a requirement for PME systems in the 18th because people from Inverness complained about the impossibility in their rock strewn ground so if everyone can’t do it no one will. We can thank Elecsa for arguing our side.

Reply to 18th Edition cash cow for the IET in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock