Discuss 18th Edition cert issue in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Can anyone help as I have taken my 18th edition but the employer I took it with has refused to send the certificate.

They have sent an email of the certificate and I have forwarded this to ECS to update my card but they have put this on hold, for some reason. I no longer work for this company and it seems their way of frustrating me, because I decided to leave their employment.

This has been going on since Jan 2019 and I would like this sorted before the 30 June to maintain my Registered Electrician status.

Any thoughts?

I suppose they may feel they have spent money on you in the expectation you will provide future worth to them and are rightly miffed you did not. If it was a C&G cert. then can you leapfrog them and get it direct? I assume the place you did your exam is independent from the company you worked for? In which case contact them perhaps. Maybe offer to reimburse them for your course?

In my opinion if the course and Exam was C&G or EAL then the prior company you worked for has very little right to withhold the certificate from you, what CP Scheme did the company belong to? I would contact the Scheme for help.
The Company may be miffed about paying for the course etc, but they are being bloody minded and petty by withholding the certificate, just like a child saying "no you can't have your ball back".

In my opinion if the course and Exam was C&G or EAL then the prior company you worked for has very little right to withhold the certificate from you, what CP Scheme did the company belong to? I would contact the Scheme for help.
The Company may be miffed about paying for the course etc, but they are being bloody minded and petty by withholding the certificate, just like a child saying "no you can't have your ball back".
I would agree that the certificate is his to have, but I can't see what it has to do with a Competent Person's Scheme - so they couldn't involve themselves in the dispute.

I would agree that the certificate is his to have, but I can't see what it has to do with a Competent Person's Scheme - so they couldn't involve themselves in the dispute.
I was trying to point out that it maybe worthwhile contacting them for advice nothing else, they very rarely get involved in much anyway, from comments I have heard, just maybe worth a punt, no harm in asking is there?

They would not be interested Pete. Ask the ECS why they have put it on hold there has got to be a reason. Send the ECS an email keeping to the point (as this will be looked at by different people and it will be easier for them to understand when calling) Some employers stipulate that if you leave within a timeframe you pay a tapered proportion of the cost as they are now not getting the benefit. Tell the C&G that you have not received your certificate they might send on out FOC.

They would not be interested Pete. Ask the ECS why they have put it on hold there has got to be a reason. Send the ECS an email keeping to the point (as this will be looked at by different people and it will be easier for them to understand when calling) Some employers stipulate that if you leave within a timeframe you pay a tapered proportion of the cost as they are now not getting the benefit. Tell the C&G that you have not received your certificate they might send on out FOC.
Thanks Ant useful to know

Many thanks Gents for the comments, I have indeed emailed the ECS and am awaiting a response. Unfortunately it may take up to 14 days to get a response from them and it isn't possible to ring them up to maybe speed up the process.
I figured that as it was a C&G exam with the centre number and my name on the certificate it would have been fairly easy to track
Here hoping for a speedy response.
Once again many thanks for your input.

2 months. Af the time I told them that I didn't want to take the exam as I didn't think I was ready for it. I wanted to do a night course at college to take it all in, and not a 2 day congested course with the exam afterwards.
Fortunately I passed, but I didn't decide to leave until a month later.

Have you written a letter or better still emailed your previous company to see what the issue is? For me personally surely a company has bigger fish to fry and you should not be getting grief.....however some companies have in your contracts to pay them back for training/courses etc if you leave within 6 months after exam.
Imagine it from their viewpoint if masses of ppl do it.....
If I were you I'd email them and city and guilds.

I have emailed ECS, and hopefully they can trace and verify my certificate with a view of altering my new ECS card.
I shall email the C&G Office tomorrow to see what they say.
Manh thanks for your input.

I know that I have that option as a plan b but, when you take and pass the exam, who receives the certificate 1st, your company or the person taking the exam?

Usually you are given your pass certificate there and then..
I’ve not got my actual certificate yet but that’s because I’ve not sorted that out yet

Hi @sparkyvr was your old company a JIB firm? If so you will probably have more options, as the JIB don't just set rates of pay ect but there are rules in which they are supposed to follow being a JIB firm. JIB handbook is downloadable from website.
I would agree with comments above and offer to pay for the course part/full (maybe cheaper than doing it again as more time off work). Another option would be to contact your local ECA office, explain your situation. They may not be able to help you directly but could point you in the right direction. You will be able to find this via ECA.co.uk .
Best of luck with it.

Reply to 18th Edition cert issue in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock