Discuss 18th Edition Compliant Consumer Unit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

And of course, don't forget you may need to accommodate SPDs and if the client goes for them... AFDDs (which may mean using two boards instead of one :D )

If you look at the thread SC referred to above ^^^^ and read that reg (536.4.202) properly it is the design current for that RCD that needs to comply not the size of the company fuse etc, etc, , the last paragraph of that reg states manufacturers instructions should be followed, however in the same regs book, or at least in the 17th amd 3 book only states that manufacturers instructions should be taken account of.

Probably best to supply full RCBO boards (with SPD) unless you can guarantee that your RCDs will be subjected to less than 9mA of earth leakage.

Unlikely to hit 9mA in a domestic environment, besides which if you hit 10mA on a given circuit you are then into HI earthing, we hit this on office installs quite frequently where a lot of computers are installed.

Edit: 30mA RCDs tend not to trip until circa 22mA mark, @ 15mA they should not trip either.

Seen the price of the 100A RCCB's!

Doubles the price of most consumer units. Bet we won't be seeing many of them being fitted. Are they actually needed? Seems like the manufacturers trying to pull a fast one to me.

Read Reg 536.4.202 again, and you will see it is the design current Ib that needs to be complied with, which is what most of us have always done anyway.
As said manufacturers instructions should be taken account of, not followed blindly.

Ps. Spin London was correct too it is also the ICn that is also important,

Last edited:
Seems like the manufacturers trying to pull a fast one to me.

Hit, nail and head...........

If anybody thinks that they need to make sure that each RCD value is equal to or less than the main fuse they are being mislead.

Take this another step and you shouldn't have the sum of the MCB's or RCBO's exceeding the DNO fuse ............. which is madness.

Unlikely to hit 9mA in a domestic environment, besides which if you hit 10mA on a given circuit you are then into HI earthing, we hit this on office installs quite frequently where a lot of computers are installed.

Edit: 30mA RCDs tend not to trip until circa 22mA mark, @ 15mA they should not trip either.

18th Edition Compliant Consumer Unit Screenshot_20190131-074222_Drive - EletriciansForums.net

TBH I'm not sure what the average leakage per RCD is for a typical split load domestic board as I don't do a lot of domestic. I would still recommend full RCBO though for a number of reasons.

Oh I don't disagree, a full RCBO board is always nice to have if the customer will go for it, however they should always have been DP, or at least SPSN from the get go for obvious reasons.

Historically we have used diversity of the final circuits to ensure that the rccb is not overloaded.
Now it seems we can not rely solely upon diversity of the final circuits downstream of the rccb and overload protection must be ensured by other means like having the upfront ocpd rated lower or equal to the rccb and main switch or ensure that the final circuits added are not greater than the rccb and ensuing manufacturers instructions are complied with.
I know with Hager they have taken the approach of fitting 2x 100amp rccb’s (Also now type A) in their dual rcd consumer units so obviously they intend to ensure that their rccb’s are not overloaded and have defaulted to use 100amp devices.
This is certainly the guidance also given by my companies scheme provider.

Which reg states that though Ian ? 536.4.202 doesn't as far as I read it, Hagar is only one manufacturer out of many.
I normally take what you have to say seriously as you are one of the few that happens to know what you are talking about.

I had a look at the corrigendum for the 18th (yes mistakes again!) and nothing was mentioned wrt to this.

I think it's the last para of that reg that's the killer, where they state " OCPD rating shall be selected in accord with manufacturer's instructions" . Rightly or wrongly, Hager has jumped in with both feet.

Reply to 18th Edition Compliant Consumer Unit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock