CK Tools :) The professionals choice when it comes to Electrical Tools
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss 18th edition consumer unit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Hey all,

I have just finished a rewire of a 1 bed house and just have the board left to install. I am a qualified sparky but now work as a project manger so haven’t carried out much domestic work in the last couple of years. I know that the requirements for installing consumer units has now changed and am wondering what are the requirements with regard to cable entries into the board. I have the cables all dropping down from the ceiling where the existing board and meter position is in the entrance hall. Any advice would be appreciated.

Wetroom Store - Network Wetroom Suppliers

Dave OCD

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
My preferred method is to bring all cables through the large rear knockout, suitably grommeted of course. And I generally space the board off a little with a couple of pieces of small batten the same height as the board to facilitate this. If you use the top knockouts you then need several glands to achieve the required IP rating and it doesn't look as good either.

buzzlightyear

-
Arms
Esteemed
ip rated on top open grommets sealed with fire seal ,if you cannot get the cables behind
Everbuild Fire Mate Intumescent Sealant white 33
(EVBFIRE)

Charlie_

-
Arms
1 bed house, how many circuits?
Maybe 5?
I prefer the rear entry method (no pun intended)
Failing that, I would use trunking

Charlie_

-
Arms
My question on earthing;
TT - upfront RCD or going for the option of having the tails enter the board with one of those special stuffers that apparently guarantee the board from becoming live.

Day off;.. we’ve all had one of those today in the iom, it’s a national holiday :)

D

Deleted member 26818

Top horizontal surface of the board has to be IP4X or IPXXD, the front sides and bottom surfaces have to be IP2X or IPXXB.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for all the replies guys! It’s a T-N-CS earthing arrangement. As the board is going to be tight to the ceiling there won’t be room for trunking so may do the rear entry method. This is a photo of the old board being replaced.

Attachments

O

Octopus

Thanks for all the replies guys! It’s a T-N-CS earthing arrangement. As the board is going to be tight to the ceiling there won’t be room for trunking so may do the rear entry method. This is a photo of the old board being replaced.

I don’t believe that head was that close to the ceiling when it was installed ...

littlespark

-
Arms
Esteemed
Not strictly needed, but I would bring the board down the wall a bit to a more user friendly height. With trunking to hide cables.

telectrix

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
Not strictly needed, but I would bring the board down the wall a bit to a more user friendly height. With trunking to hide cables.
or chase them in. then CU on a bespoke piece of board, spaced off wall with 4 bits of 1/2" long 20mm pvc conduit . then rear entry.

richy3333

-
Mentor
Arms
Supporter
Esteemed
Why do we fit RCDs for stuff buried in a wall less than 50mm deep if not to guard against things that aren't "normal use"??
or chase them in. then CU on a bespoke piece of board, spaced off wall with 4 bits of 1/2" long 20mm pvc conduit . then rear entry.
Or use a stand off bracket rather than battening. Many manufacturers sell them.

Midwest

-
Arms
Esteemed
And I generally space the board off a little with a couple of pieces of small batten the same height as the board to facilitate this.
I do rather hate mixing pieces of organic matter with metal. Just doesn't seem very karma to me. What about plastic, or even some manufactures spacers. :)

magnoliafan89

-
Arms
Esteemed
I bloody hate people who do rewires and still put the new board back at ceiling height....especially when its in the smallest cupboard they can find....even more infuriating to finallt get the cover off to find a birds nest

Hey all,

I have just finished a rewire of a 1 bed house and just have the board left to install. I am a qualified sparky but now work as a project manger so haven’t carried out much domestic work in the last couple of years. I know that the requirements for installing consumer units has now changed and am wondering what are the requirements with regard to cable entries into the board. I have the cables all dropping down from the ceiling where the existing board and meter position is in the entrance hall. Any advice would be appreciated.
I think you must do short course called part p etc ???

Thanks for all the replies. Looks like back entry will be the best way to go.
On a side note I’ve seen online that suppliers are selling the semi blind grommets which it says are ip66 rated for use on cu’s. Would these comply with the new regs as I haven’t seen this method shown anywhere?

Cheers

Not sure thought I read something about it but I must be thinking of something else
Last point the existing tails are 16mm which will be fine as there will be little load being used. Anyone know how much roughly the DNO charge for coming out to pull the main fuse and back to reinstate supply after? It’s wpd here.

Pete999

-
Arms
Esteemed
Not sure thought I read something about it but I must be thinking of something else
Last point the existing tails are 16mm which will be fine as there will be little load being used. Anyone know how much roughly the DNO charge for coming out to pull the main fuse and back to reinstate supply after? It’s wpd here.
Have you consulted the seal fairy??

D

Deleted member 26818

Thanks for all the replies. Looks like back entry will be the best way to go.
On a side note I’ve seen online that suppliers are selling the semi blind grommets which it says are ip66 rated for use on cu’s. Would these comply with the new regs as I haven’t seen this method shown anywhere?

Cheers
The new Regs apply to the CU, not the cable entry points.
You only need IP4X/IPXXD on the top and IP2X/IPXXB on all the other sides.
Use IP66 grommets if you want, but there’s no requirement to do so.

No, it’s the fairy that comes around and removes the seals before you get there.
Seems to be quite common.
Ah I see lol I know we used to do that when I worked doing house bashing full time but didn’t know if they had clamped down on it now.

Dave OCD

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
I haven't seem any clamping down, it's a miraculous coincidence I know but everywhere I do CU changes it seems the seal fairy has nipped in unseen just ahead of me. :D

Charlie_

-
Arms
If the seal fairy has been before you get there, don’t get complacent with the neutral, he’s got a few tricks in his sleeve too.

SuperlecDirect - ElectriciansForums.net Electrical Suppliers

Reply to 18th edition consumer unit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

uHeat Banner - Forum Discount Available
Top Bottom