Discuss 18th edition consumer unit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hey all,

I have just finished a rewire of a 1 bed house and just have the board left to install. I am a qualified sparky but now work as a project manger so haven’t carried out much domestic work in the last couple of years. I know that the requirements for installing consumer units has now changed and am wondering what are the requirements with regard to cable entries into the board. I have the cables all dropping down from the ceiling where the existing board and meter position is in the entrance hall. Any advice would be appreciated.

My preferred method is to bring all cables through the large rear knockout, suitably grommeted of course. And I generally space the board off a little with a couple of pieces of small batten the same height as the board to facilitate this. If you use the top knockouts you then need several glands to achieve the required IP rating and it doesn't look as good either.

My question on earthing;
TT - upfront RCD or going for the option of having the tails enter the board with one of those special stuffers that apparently guarantee the board from becoming live.

Day off;.. we’ve all had one of those today in the iom, it’s a national holiday :)

Top horizontal surface of the board has to be IP4X or IPXXD, the front sides and bottom surfaces have to be IP2X or IPXXB.

Thanks for all the replies guys! It’s a T-N-CS earthing arrangement. As the board is going to be tight to the ceiling there won’t be room for trunking so may do the rear entry method. This is a photo of the old board being replaced.

Attachments

• 18th edition consumer unit 204572E0-89A6-4E35-81F1-8187B2BA7D36 - EletriciansForums.net
    204572E0-89A6-4E35-81F1-8187B2BA7D36.jpeg
    797 KB · Views: 85
Thanks for all the replies guys! It’s a T-N-CS earthing arrangement. As the board is going to be tight to the ceiling there won’t be room for trunking so may do the rear entry method. This is a photo of the old board being replaced.

I don’t believe that head was that close to the ceiling when it was installed ...

Not strictly needed, but I would bring the board down the wall a bit to a more user friendly height. With trunking to hide cables.
or chase them in. then CU on a bespoke piece of board, spaced off wall with 4 bits of 1/2" long 20mm pvc conduit . then rear entry.

Everyone seems obsessed with rear entry on this forum. Nudge nudge, wink wink. say no more, guv’nor

Why do we fit RCDs for stuff buried in a wall less than 50mm deep if not to guard against things that aren't "normal use"??
or chase them in. then CU on a bespoke piece of board, spaced off wall with 4 bits of 1/2" long 20mm pvc conduit . then rear entry.
Or use a stand off bracket rather than battening. Many manufacturers sell them.

Reply to 18th edition consumer unit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock