Discuss 18th Edition - Exam only in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

the whole domestic sector is in chaos. part p was supposed to stop poor installations. this could have worked if only qualified/competent sparks were allowed to do electrical work ( excepting basic DIY jobs like changing sockets etc.). instead it's become a cash cow for the scams whereby a fully qualified spark cannot do notifiable work unless he/she is in a scam, along with unqualified, inexperienced, boil in the bag, 5wws , who don't know their arse from their sidecutters. the whole trade is fooked due to the money grabbing scams. NICEIC being the biggest con. years ago you would be proud to display their logo on your paperwork. now all youneed is a 5 week course and £500. i sincerely hope their pension fund crashes, like the USA 1929 fiasco. let's see then fat cats jumping out of 15th storey windows. i certainly won't be holding the blanket. jeez, 13 lines of rant. , i'm too sober.

Well I am quite looking forward to it. They (Stroma) rang me up loads of times months back offering the course for £££'s (can't remember the figure as I ain't doing it anyway), but now seem to have given up. Technically come 1st of January I can't notify work? But I am paid up until April 20th or something. Not like anything in the 18th will make a blind bit of difference, but I am just a little bit curious as to how I stand. Do you think I will get a rebate for the 4 months I am technically under-qualified to be a member?
Not if you are doing work to the 17th.

now we need to get this straight because some one has done the 17th and not done the 18th, has long they can apply it and do not hold the 18th and his qualified spark. the only thing not holding the 18th with the scam you are not non compliant .but doing current 18th will show to can read the BBB and apply the current regs .just to had to, a local spark I know has only done his 18months ago got his 17th, and the NICEIC told him has long has you can apply the regs that's ok the next visit .

Last edited:
Just did my 18th at a place in Harlow.
AET exam only website says £140.
I paid at reception £125.
They do the exam any day during the week and sometimes on a Saturday morning.
I phoned them about 1:45, had to get there by 2:30 so they could enroll me with City and Guilds etc. and still have time to do the exam.
Finished about 4:05.
Oh yeah, they lent me a book.

Last edited by a moderator:
I done mine on Monday in Colindale London. Booked it last Friday turned up at 2.30 pm on monday antd out by 4.30 pm. And yes I did pass :)

My local college has moved away from C&G for some reason. EAL and now the regs were with a crowd called Logic Certification with a 75% pass and minimum of 50% in each section too.

1 lad the day I did mine had 76% and failed as he hadn’t done enough in a section and what he had done and got right put him under 50% so he failed by 1 question basically.

I found it a lot harder than the C&G 17th Amd 3 exam. And got a lot higher in it than I did the 18th.

They charge £50 exam only resit, as 3 lads had failed 3 times. But I reckon that’s their aim, to make more on resits than on the initial exam.

I wonder what my ytp 1st year apprentice is actuallly learning there. Lol

I would say the 18th was harder for me than the 17th, though I think I got a higher mark for the 18th.
I did more revision for the 17th (mock exam questions) and finished the exam in about 20mins.
Took over an hour for the 18th, mostly because I double checked some answers, even though I was pretty sure I knew the answer.

Passed mine yesterday 95%
Found an online course 199 quid inc Exam at Bury St Edmunds, so really only 60/ 70 quid for the course which wasn't too bad either, skipped over certain stuff but overall not too bad..

Reply to 18th Edition - Exam only in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock