Discuss 18th edition final changes released by IET in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Andy78

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Changes in the 18th Edition IET Wiring Regulations - IET Electrical - https://electrical.------.org/wiring-regulations/18th-changes.cfm?utm_source=Adestra&utm_medium=Standards+and+Compliance&utm_campaign=Launch+of+changes+information&utm_content=18th+Edition+IET+Wiring+Regulations&utm_term=https%3A%2F%2Felectrical.------.org%2Fwiring-regulations%2F18th-changes.cfm%3Futm_source%3Dadestra%26utm_medium%3Demail%26utm_campaign%3Dchanges%26utm_content%3Dfrom-mar18

Thank you for the information, useful.
I see they do not mention what they have decided about earth electrodes!:anguished:
I am very disappointed that a professional organisation could even recommend AFDD, a very poor approach from the IET, but unfortunately they have proven again and again that it is politics and not safety that is the overriding factor.:(
The rest is pretty much as expected though the new sections I must have missed when attempting to read the draft (I did give up early on on that one!).
They have also failed to mention the amount of errors they intend to print, this would have been useful so that we could count up and be sure we have caught them all!:)

I see they do not mention what they have decided about earth electrodes!:anguished:
I am very disappointed that a professional organisation could even recommend AFDD, a very poor approach from the IET, but unfortunately they have proven again and again that it is politics and not safety that is the overriding factor.:(
The rest is pretty much as expected though the new sections I must have missed when attempting to read the draft (I did give up early on on that one!).
They have also failed to mention the amount of errors they intend to print, this would have been useful so that we could count up and be sure we have caught them all!:)

It is there assurance that we have to pay to see the film.

They have not found the cheapest bidder yet. My yellow copy has disintegrated from the centre out.

"A new Regulation 421.1.7 has been introduced recommending the installation of arc fault detection devices (AFDDs) to mitigate the risk of fire in AC final circuits of a fixed installation due to the effects of arc fault currents."

Ok, other people have already mentioned this....but....
Me being of limited intelligence... what do they mean by 'recommending'?
Have you got to do a 'risk assessment' if you choose not to follow this 'recommendation'?
What if there is a fire and it goes to court. They say that the regs 'recommend' AFDD... why were they not fitted?

This is all I can see ....

Chapter 54 Earthing arrangements and protective conductors

• Two new regulations (542.2.3 and 542.2.8) have been introduced concerning earth electrodes.

Two new regulations (542.2.3 and 542.2.8)
have been introduced concerning earth electrodes.

Jokes!!

They have explained some of the changes and then just put a stupid statement against others like electrodes. Like others have eluded to, I think they have yet to really make up their minds or they know that what they have decided is going to annoy folk.

Reply to 18th edition final changes released by IET in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net