Discuss 18th edition question in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Watch the videos by John Ward and SparkyNinja who explain all the changes in the 18th edition.

Never experienced fallen cables that hindered me in a house fire, nor the melting of plastic rawl plugs causing items to fall.

Insignificant ...
521.10.202 is a very significant change which will require consideration to achieve compliance. I predict there will be an awful lot of non-compliant new builds and extensions during 2019, because many will just carry on as they always have.

521.10.202 is a very significant change which will require consideration to achieve compliance. I predict there will be an awful lot of non-compliant new builds and extensions during 2019, because many will just carry on as they always have.

Hum ......... so in a finished domestic premises how would anyone know or check this?

Serious question BTW

Little is done now to check any existing BS 7671 compliance - so why focus in on this?

being a tight fist, i not got 18th book.can you paste that reg?

There’s not many instances where a new build would be effected by this other than if trunking is used to house the cables to the DB or any detached garages with surface conduit drops for accessories inside.

Hum ......... so in a finished domestic premises how would anyone know or check this?

Serious question BTW

Little is done now to check any existing BS 7671 compliance - so why focus in on this?
Are you suggesting you will ignore this regulation?

being a tight fist, i not got 18th book.can you paste that reg?
Wiring systems shall be supported such that they will not be liable to premature collapse in the event of a fire.

This is a blanket requirement, no distinction is given to areas of wiring or type of installation. I have been informed that a plasterboard ceiling is not considered to provide support for cables in the event of a fire, and that all wiring throughout its length will require support with (for example) steel straps, unless it is drawn through joist holes.
This will have implications for rewires where cables are often fished through areas where floors are difficult or impractical to lift for access.

Reply to 18th edition question in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock