Discuss 1940 CA house - why is it this way? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

manikh

DIY
Reaction score
Just bought a 1842 build house in California and wires are fabric insulated and in most junction boxes the input consists of 3 Hot wires and 1 neutral wire, while the same breaker controls all three hots. What is the purpose of brining 3 hots into all the junction boxes ?

That sounds like 3-phase power, it is common for commercial/industrial places but not so common for houses. Can you post some photos?

Fabric insulated cable is likely old and may well be rubber underneath that is prone to perishing and failing when flexed in any way, a major fire hazard.

You will probably need advice from one of the USA members such as @Megawatt, but my first reaction is you really should be looking at getting a professional electrician in to inspect it.

Very likely this is a complete re-wire job. If it is all from the 40-60s then not only is the wire itself a hazard, but most likely other aspects of your distribution board (panel), incoming supply switching, and final circuit protection (GFCI etc) are not in line with the current USA code and a significant danger.

Just bought a 1842 build house in California and wires are fabric insulated and in most junction boxes the input consists of 3 Hot wires and 1 neutral wire, while the same breaker controls all three hots. What is the purpose of brining 3 hots into all the junction boxes ?
I would have to say it being that old nothing would surprise me but at least you have power. I did an old house like that and ripped out all the knob and tubing wiring and started from scratch. I can not tell you why its as pc1966 says 3 phase power. Good luck especially with California laws.

That sounds like 3-phase power, it is common for commercial/industrial places but not so common for houses. Can you post some photos?

Fabric insulated cable is likely old and may well be rubber underneath that is prone to perishing and failing when flexed in any way, a major fire hazard.

You will probably need advice from one of the USA members such as @Megawatt, but my first reaction is you really should be looking at getting a professional electrician in to inspect it.

Very likely this is a complete re-wire job. If it is all from the 40-60s then not only is the wire itself a hazard, but most likely other aspects of your distribution board (panel), incoming supply switching, and final circuit protection (GFCI etc) are not in line with the current USA code and a significant danger.
Thank you for your help my friend my brother passed away last Thursday and haven’t had time to visit the forum

Reply to 1940 CA house - why is it this way? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net