Discuss 1978 Porsche 924 Coolant Fan Runs Without Ignition Switch (fix?) in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

kt0009

DIY
Reaction score
I have a troublesome problem on my 924.

I have replaced the coolant fan 2 times. The fan works this time, but there's a problem. Let me give you a back story.

First fan (the one that came with the car when bought) went out when I manually unplugged it. It's been a while since that day, but I had some custom wiring done. Usually, these Porsches have the fan running when the coolant sensor goes off and keep running even when the vehicle is off. Dudes bypassed the coolant sensor, I wasn't there when the work was done, so I am not sure how they did it, but the fan would start when you turn the ignition key. That's how they set it up. It ran fine, no problem that way.

Second fan went out (it was from an newer Porsche like 82 and installed when they rewired to ignition) when I was trying to see why the fan was rattling, making noise. I think the bearings got messed up and it stopped working. Pretty sure the the fuse on number 19, which goes to fog lights and coolant fan, overloaded and popped out when the bearings failed and that's why it stopped working.

So the third fan, is one of those custom fans you get online. Wasn't going to drop another 150$ on an old Porsche part on Ebay so got it instead. It works, but only when you put the fuse in number 19.

This time though, it runs without turning the key at all!

So I am trying to figure out what is wrong. My friend has a voltmeter and is pretty experienced with basic electronic troubleshooting. I asked him to check the relay and the relay works fine. We did a 9 volt battery on it and you can hear it clicking, so pretty sure it's not the relay.

I understand how relays work.

30 is power and has a fuse

86/85 one side goes to coolant temp and other is ignition switch.

87 is the actual fan

So my guess is there is something wrong with the with 85 that goes to the ignition?

Can anyone help me solve this strange dilemma?

Did I fry something like that ignition connection so now it's like fused or closed?

Anyway, thought I would ask you guys before I started messing with it and doing anything else.

Since the fan would work even if the car was off (engine hot) until it cooled off, then maybe it's the temp sensor? Is like the temp sensor saying that the coolant is hot when it's not and that's why it's running even when the key is off?

Reply to 1978 Porsche 924 Coolant Fan Runs Without Ignition Switch (fix?) in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net