Discuss 1992 Pontiac Firebird won't crank, no power to starter enable relay, no security light, temperature gauge fluttering in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

K

kalgran

My 92' Firebird that I just acquired will not start. I bypassed VATS security
with resistors so the security light now shuts off. I replaced my positive
battery lead that was shot and the only thing that happens when I turn the
key is the temp gauge fluttering. The relay only has 0.5 constant running to it
on one pin when measuring from chassis ground to that pin. All of the fuses
are fine and the relay is tested and functional. What should I try?

I tested my starter and it does work. would it be possible to wire a completely separate starting system so the starter will kick over? My security light is in fact off because I did a vats key bypass using resistors. I can hear the fuel pump kick over so in theory the car should start if I can get the starter to turn.

Hope these schematics will help.

Attachments

• schematic_1992_d62a2aca0f79c133ccb199d8b866589418385a60.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 4
  • schematic_1988_64e690c292c5aeb346fc6b8a4f58f0e71c850911.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 4
  • starting_system.gif
    13.7 KB · Views: 4
Hi,so GM have designed an anti-theft system,which can be bypassed using a .4 to 12 K Ohm pot? That must have been an easy 15 minute decision,in R&D,then an early lunch ....:oops:

I would be concentrating on a voltage/grounding/connection type fault,then work forwards from there.

Hey just wanted to add a solution to this thread. I ended up quick-splicing into an ignition switched 12v wire, added a pushbutton and ran the line to my starter relay (which I bypassed with a jumper) so 12v was being fed to the starter. Kind of a cruddy way to get the car running but it worked.

In the future I plan on going back in and taking that wire splice and running it through the ignition 'start' pins so that the car can turn over with the key once again. If I'm in a good mood I might even buy a vats key and reenable that security system for maximum protection on this rare gem, the last of the true muscle cars.

Never be afraid to try something new :)

Reply to 1992 Pontiac Firebird won't crank, no power to starter enable relay, no security light, temperature gauge fluttering in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net