Discuss 1st fix for multiple TV points from one satellite dish in the FreeSat, Sky, VirginMedia Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Mark.W

-
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm currently wiring up a 2 bed new build and have been asked to supply a TV point in each bedroom and 1 in the lounge. I haven't really done them before so I have a question. Do I need to install a splitter with a radial to each point or can I daisy chain the 3 points? Problem is there is no ceiling as such, it's all open so nowhere to really put a splitter.

Thanks
Mark

he said tv points!
title says dish ;) I just prefer to whack an 8way LNB on bigger jobs and run them all back separately, infact he only wants 3 points on this job so will go in standard sky 4way LNB.

don't forget to fit F-type plates on the walls not co-ax ones

Last edited:
Depends on what they want? You can't get normal sky anymore if your a new customer, which whoever moves in will be as it's a new build. If they want multi room sky then you only need a twin WF100 from the dish to the main box and the other mini boxes are wireless. However it would be best to run a cat5 to each TV position including the main position from the router/sky hub so the boxes communicate through Ethernet rather than wifi or sky's wireless network. Sky Q has no RF out facility either.

If the customer wants freesat then take a twin WF100 to each point back to the dish.

If they want sky in each room take a twin wf100 to main box from dish and a cat 5 to each TV from router/sky hub position.

If they want the option for Just TV as well take a single coax back from each TV to a central position where an amplifier/splitter can be positioned and 1 up to the aerial position.

Usefull post @Leesparkykent about the sky q boxes. Out of interest do the mini boxes work independently of the main box ie are they effectivly the same as having a magic eye presently that mirrors the main box or can you watch diferent channels on all of the mini boxes?
No mate you can watch what you want and I believe you can watch what you've recorded on any other box.

As a user, the main box effectively records everything. From a mini box you can view different channels, select recordings or watch recordings. The 2TB main box, you can record 4 channels and watch a 5th. You can watch 2 mini boxes at the same time. Clearly been developed to stop people doing the multi room thing without paying for it. You can also watch on a device using an app, but not outside the UK. I know some download films & series, to watch on flights etc.

Is it valve for money, depends on your point of view. Sky Q also has an annoying lip sync issue on some makes of TV's!

Hi Mark,

I think you need to clarify with the customer what exactly they mean by a TV point. Are they after just a TV point to watch Freeview or Sky, if Sky would they be recording and watching at the same time? As each setup has different requirements. Also do they want it to be Sky Q ready as this makes things even more complicated as would require a multiswitch etc.

Alam

I think, if it's a new build and ceilings not in yet, prepare for everything! Dish on roof, satellite like Sky and freesat, aerial on roof (or in loft if signal good) for Freeview, terminate to "manifold" in loft and cable to each room with coax and sat cables (or just 2xsat cable) and use coax and F connector output plates on walls...and especially if no ceilings in yet, bung some CAT6 in too, and maybe run it all through brush plates for a neat finish and some flexibility.

Hi Mark,

I think you need to clarify with the customer what exactly they mean by a TV point. Are they after just a TV point to watch Freeview or Sky, if Sky would they be recording and watching at the same time? As each setup has different requirements. Also do they want it to be Sky Q ready as this makes things even more complicated as would require a multiswitch etc.

Alam
Sky Q is a doddle to install, twin co ax to main Sky TV point. It can work wirelessly with the multiroom mini boxes. Far better to do what @Leesparkykent suggests in post #7

and that's the whole point in the OP doing it himself...neat job, right job...

Mind you, I did have a Sky guy here a few years ago and he really was skilled and professional...
retired electrician.

Reply to 1st fix for multiple TV points from one satellite dish in the FreeSat, Sky, VirginMedia Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock