Discuss 1x swa to do 2x circuits in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J.C.E

-
Arms
Reaction score
Looked at a job for a old boy- and wanted to keep costs down for him and make my job bit neater/simplier

Job is to get new swa from new little rcbo board inside house to a external ip65 light switch and then into 6x external lights

then he also wants to power his little shed at end of garden with 1x 13a d.socket- no plans of any more load in there what so ever- made this clear.

instead of running 2x swa's -for for the garden lights and one for the shed

I was thinking run a 2.5mm2 3core swa from c/u into ip65 13a switch spur FEED (acting as the light switch)
Then take a 4core 2.5mm swa cable from ip65 13a spur (load) SF,N,E
and the 4th core into the feed side of the spur as the perm for shed

then the SF,N,E looping through the 6x light fittings and then from the last light fitting into the shed with the perm L,N,E

meterage is 55m- so volt drop is fine

I know this might seem a bit 'lazy' -but work smart, not hard ahh

also is there such thing as a single pole IP65 fuse spur- if not this will not work as there will be no N at the shed if the garden lights are switched off!

then i would have to use a 5core 2.5 SWA (L,L,N,N,E) -if that is even a thing!

It’ll be ok as long as the RCBO is correct size to protect the cable. 16A will be fine.
Can you use the armour as cpc and get away with using a 3 core? L, SL and N.
Probably not if the light fittings are plastic.

Looked at a job for a old boy- and wanted to keep costs down for him and make my job bit neater/simplier

Job is to get new swa from new little rcbo board inside house to a external ip65 light switch and then into 6x external lights

then he also wants to power his little shed at end of garden with 1x 13a d.socket- no plans of any more load in there what so ever- made this clear.

instead of running 2x swa's -for for the garden lights and one for the shed

I was thinking run a 2.5mm2 3core swa from c/u into ip65 13a switch spur FEED (acting as the light switch)
Then take a 4core 2.5mm swa cable from ip65 13a spur (load) SF,N,E
and the 4th core into the feed side of the spur as the perm for shed

then the SF,N,E looping through the 6x light fittings and then from the last light fitting into the shed with the perm L,N,E

meterage is 55m- so volt drop is fine

I know this might seem a bit 'lazy' -but work smart, not hard ahh

also is there such thing as a single pole IP65 fuse spur- if not this will not work as there will be no N at the shed if the garden lights are switched off!

then i would have to use a 5core 2.5 SWA (L,L,N,N,E) -if that is even a thing!
Run a suitably sized SWA to the shed, fit CU wire shed socket and light from one OCPD, the Garden lights from another OCPD. Simples

Last edited:
Run a suitably sized SWA to the shed, fit CU wire shed socket and light from one OCPD, the Garden lights from another OCPD. Simples
in ideal world yes

but the shed is at end of garden and lights are between shed and house- and was trying to prevent having to run 2x 50m of SWA and just use a more core swa

also there is a patio around the shed with a 2.5mm swa already supplying it and the client doesnt want damage here- so this prevents me from having a c/u in the shed and taking my lighting circuit from this

thats why I thought of the way I suggested in tge 1st post

yes indeed, use a single ip 66socket ,take it out fuse spur in .
i know this but my question was if SINGLE POLE ip65 spurs where such a thing as if I isolate the N with the spur- when the lights are switched off- so would the shed and it would have no N

Last edited:
Do it like I suggested end of argument surely, a bit more cable is far better than a bodge job!

You make your double pole sfcu into a single pole sfcu by connecting the n ins and outs to the same terminal or joining them with a wago

NOOOO! A double-pole SFCU is designed to provide DP switching. If you want an SP switch, use an SP switch and don't confuse the hell out of whoever comes after, who turns it off and then finds the circuit isn't isolated. Or, switches off and disconnects L & N on the load side and finds the circuit still live via the unswitched L by getting a belt.

If the lights are OK to be protected by a 16A RCBO, and anything with a BC lampholder or electronic PSU usually is unless stated otherwise, then you only need a switch, not an SFCU, and send SL and PL as you intended. Personally, if I could trust the earth continuity, I would avoid using a core as earth and use two cores for shed and two for lights, and two SFCUs. Earthing arrangements permitting, with all of the above.

Reply to 1x swa to do 2x circuits in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock