Discuss 2.5mm 2-core SWA for EV point? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Dane

-
Reaction score
As the charging point must be outside the DB equipotential zone (separate earthing rod), are people using 2-core SWA for EV points and eathing via the armour?

I think in nearly all cases its a tt system you need to install for the charger, so yes if thats the case it would be pointless installing a 3 core, a 2 core would be ideal with an insulating gland

As for ccc, the cable used is usually a 4 mm/32a minimum i think

Most chargers are either 16 or 32 amp but the protective device inside is usually a rcbo and rated at 20 or 40 amp and usually a type c.
You then have to consider voltage drop, i installed one on a 10mm 2 core swa circuit and them put a rod in. Same charger on anothet circuit was 6mm H07 but used PME as it was only being used within the waeehouse and not outside.
Every install is different.
It all comes down to circuit design. Use the formulae in the regs or osg and you will find the answers.

Most chargers are either 16 or 32 amp but the protective device inside is usually a rcbo and rated at 20 or 40 amp and usually a type c.
You then have to consider voltage drop, i installed one on a 10mm 2 core swa circuit and them put a rod in. Same charger on anothet circuit was 6mm H07 but used PME as it was only being used within the waeehouse and not outside.
Every install is different.
It all comes down to circuit design. Use the formulae in the regs or osg and you will find the answers.

Yes, I understand the cable size may vary for long runs and other C factors, but the emphasis was more on the protection implied by 722.411.4.1. I understand it needs an RCD or RCBO, but compliance with the stated 18th ed. regs means an additional rod and no cpc connected back to the main DB. So a 2-core SWA of the required size is sufficient.

Reply to 2.5mm 2-core SWA for EV point? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock