Discuss 2.5mm in lighting circuit in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Apart from it costing twice as much as 1.5 then no.. Wire it in 16mm if you want allthogh id love to see the terminal in the rose that would allow this

There are many specified projects, that have minimum specified cable sizes for current carrying conductors. Many, including my present project specify 2.5mm for lighting and 4mm for power circuits.

Some, like a project i did some 10 years or so ago, specified a minimum of 4mm for all final circuits!! lol!! It was a Yank code specified project, so you can guess the method of how the light fittings and many of the switches etc, were connected!! lol!!

There are many specified projects, that have minimum specified cable sizes for current carrying conductors. Many, including my present project specify 2.5mm for lighting and 4mm for power circuits.

Some, like a project i did some 10 years or so ago, specified a minimum of 4mm for all final circuits!! lol!! It was a Yank code specified project, so you can guess the method of how the light fittings and many of the switches etc, were connected!! lol!!

Any takers?? lol!!

Is there anything in current regulations preventing the use of 2.5mm cable in domestic lighting circuits as it is usually 1.5mm.

Of course not don't be silly, however using 2.5 in a house will be ridiculous when it comes to the 2nd fix LMAO, good luck, I wouldn't want to be the spark following you around if 1st and 2nd fix teams are seperate haha

Did a job in a house build in the 60s last month and all the lighting was in what looked like 4mm singles insulated and sheathed in red and black ( pre 66 no cpc )

As for the wire nuts have you tried the Twister range from Ideal I've been using them for over a year now and think they are excellent for certain applications

Did a job in a house build in the 60s last month and all the lighting was in what looked like 4mm singles insulated and sheathed in red and black ( pre 66 no cpc )

As for the wire nuts have you tried the Twister range from Ideal I've been using them for over a year now and think they are excellent for certain applications

There is Nothing excellent about wire nuts!! They are the No1 cause of fires in Yank domestic houses/apartments, let alone other installations!!!

Why on earth are they still allowed then? (Not that I approve of the things!)

God knows!! lol!! But these wire nuts can be quite big, and certainly not suitable for UK and European back boxes etc. One of the biggest problems with these wire nuts is that now they have wings on them, so extra force can be applied. Trouble is, conductors can snap (and often DO) without the installer being aware, thus possibly causing a high resistance joint.

That was the method i was hinting at above, that was used on that particular project. Never Ever again, they are nothing but bloody trouble, with a bold Capital T!!

well if makes you feel better i used 4mm swa for outside lighting , and back in the car again to wholesalers as i wasnt taking it out.. what aday that was....

- - - Updated - - -

well if makes you feel better i used 4mm swa for outside lighting , and back in the car again to wholesalers as i wasnt taking it out.. what aday that was....

Well when everything went florescent people insisted on 1.5, so I guess with everything going LED it's only logical to start using 2.5 :lol:

You could look at Table B7 OSG.....with a circuit up to 16amp and fault current <3kA on a C curve breaker minimum cpc is 1.5mm..........>3kA but <6kA on a B curve minimum cpc is 2.5mm......scare:dizzy2:y.....

Reply to 2.5mm in lighting circuit in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock