Discuss 2.5mm Ring wired off a 4mm Radial in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Chris

-
Reaction score
Hi,
I have been testing a domestic property today and when i started to look into the kitchen sockets there is a 4mm radial from the DB going to one socket on one side, the 4mm radial is cut into and JB'd and 2x2.5mm cables run out forming a ring for the other 4 sockets...

Does this obey regs? I know you can run 2.5mm spurs off 4mm but havent seen or heard of this before?

Hi,
I have been testing a domestic property today and when i started to look into the kitchen sockets there is a 4mm radial from the DB going to one socket on one side, the 4mm radial is cut into and JB'd and 2x2.5mm cables run out forming a ring for the other 4 sockets...

Does this obey regs? I know you can run 2.5mm spurs off 4mm but havent seen or heard of this before?
A lollipop circuit then, don't like em but don't think they are against the Regs, or so I have heard on this Forum from time to time.

Hi,

One would think if you do what you suggest you would need to reduce the size of the OCPD at or near the change of cable size, wouldn't you????

One would think if you do what you suggest you would need to reduce the size of the OCPD at or near the change of cable size, wouldn't you????

Are you talking about a 2.5mm spur off a 4mm radial? It is compliant if you only have 1 socket outlet as they are rated 13a so if any higher load was placed on the cable the socket would fail.

Is it simply a case of "get some power in there, 4mm will do it...then get some sockets off that, 2.5 rfc will do?"
I ask this as a complete novice, but I can see some logic in such a lollipop arrangement...
However, I have no clear idea what circuit protection would be appropriate, given I have no idea what the final load might be...
maybe one level at the CU, and another at the junction with the rfc?
Or maybe just assume that the final load will never be enough to cause a fire?
Hmmm...
think I need to get an electrician in!

Whether a 4mm radial, or a 2.5 rfc from source, it would still be generally a 32A OCPD.
I just think it over complicates matters and makes it more confusing for the next spark to work on the circuit.
It shouldn't be done, but its compliant, so hey.

Reply to 2.5mm Ring wired off a 4mm Radial in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock