Discuss 2.5mm Ring wired off a 4mm Radial in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

If it's compliant, why shouldn't it be done? Again, I ask as a novice.

It's a bit like laying a watering hose system in a garden. Send the big hose in, then split it into a ring through smaller pipes. Obviously the water won't kill you!

If it's compliant, why shouldn't it be done? Again, I ask as a novice.

It's a bit like laying a watering hose system in a garden. Send the big hose in, then split it into a ring through smaller pipes. Obviously the water won't kill you!

Technically nothing wrong with it. No different than your meter tails or other sub distribution.
However it may cause problems or confusion for the next guy who comes to test or make alterations.

Nines times out of ten its generally an old perhaps cooker circuit that has been adapted as a ring circuit.
Cant imagine anyone would deliberately install a hybrid (or lollipop) circuit.
If only the kitchen as per OP may have just carried on as a 4mm radial!

In domestic it tends to be done when only the kitchen is refurbed, usually repurposing the 6mm^ feed that was formerly used for the electric cooker circuit , save ripping the rest of the house apart.

In Industrial/commercial it may be done for volt drop/max Zs reasons using a larger feeder cable and to save what may be just a 'local' RFC from needing two long runs back to a DB.

It is compliant btw, and in the OP it is more likely a 6mm^ as said above

I’ve seen this a few times in schools and in commercial/industrial, when the RFC is a distance from the dis board. It reduces volt drop, cable cost and takes less room in trunking. Not against any regs, but personally not my favourite circuit type.
I think there should be a reg that identifies it at the board, as it can cause a confusion at best

It may cause some confusion in domestic as it is not in the OSG ;) nor in app15 pics in the regs book ;), and wasn't really seen that much in that environment until fairly recently (more frequent kitchen re-fits ?) , however in the industrial/commercial world it has been around for almost ever, having said that the NIC only 'officially' seemed to recognise it in the mainstream in the last few years, some of the younger sparks seem never to have seen it at all, makes you wonder what gets taught these days ????

Not many of the younger sparks will even know what a staggered ring final looks like either :) now I bet that will be confusing ;)

Edit: please don't invent any more stupid regs, the IET will have it in the next AMD :)

It may cause some confusion in domestic as it is not in the OSG ;) nor in app15 pics in the regs book ;), and wasn't really seen that much in that environment until fairly recently (more frequent kitchen re-fits ?) , however in the industrial/commercial world it has been around for almost ever, having said that the NIC only 'officially' seemed to recognise it in the mainstream in the last few years, some of the younger sparks seem never to have seen it at all, makes you wonder what gets taught these days ????

Not many of the younger sparks will even know what a staggered ring final looks like either :) now I bet that will be confusing ;)

Edit: please don't invent any more stupid regs, the IET will have it in the next AMD :)
Kev the Kitchen fitter's fav circuit, and what has the NICEIC got to do with things? they are just a CPS, nothing more nothing less.

Could it be the case of the 4mm being run in for the cooker originally then it has been changed over time and the feed reused for a new ring rather than going back to the CU like others have said sounds lazy

Reply to 2.5mm Ring wired off a 4mm Radial in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock