Discuss 2 core cable to metal light switches in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

jimk996

Went to a flat recently where the cable is run through metal conduit to metal back boxes on a TN-S system. Built in the 60's the flats have aluminium strand cable that is sheathed by a braided woven material (vic cable?) and although old is serviceable. The matal conduit is earthed back to the incoming source. I didn't like the fact that there's metal chrome light switches but as long as there's a cpc link from the switch to the backbox, is this compliant?

I realise that this installation is probably due a rewire and CU upgrade from the current rewireables but any guidance on the above would be appreciated.

Thanks

Condemn it ASAP
Went to a flat recently where the cable is run through metal conduit to metal back boxes on a TN-S system. Built in the 60's the flats have aluminium strand cable that is sheathed by a braided woven material (vic cable?) and although old is serviceable. The matal conduit is earthed back to the incoming source. I didn't like the fact that there's metal chrome light switches but as long as there's a cpc link from the switch to the backbox, is this compliant?

I realise that this installation is probably due a rewire and CU upgrade from the current rewireables but any guidance on the above would be appreciated.

Thanks

Cable will almost certainly be VIR tinned copper from your description,and almost certainly will not like being disturbed. Best do an R2 test to all class 1 accessories to make sure all are effectively earthed but unless it's going to be rewired leave well alone.

Thanks

You sure these flat's were built in the 60's?? Braided single VIR cables were generally phased out during the late 50's... Maybe old remaining stock mind!! lol!!

The conduit earthing will be far superior to any T&E CPC. A fly lead to the conduits back box is all thats required.

I'd get a subbie in to break into the conduit system and run extra conduits to any extra points required as there will be, and or moved postion for sks switches etc and rewire including a cpc (for the sake of a few extra quid) I'd use him for all the graft, get him to sign it off (after all the correct test results are in of course), then make a few bob on top, on second thoughts I'd give him the whole job, I can't stick house bashing of any sort, might get a finders fee for putting him onto the job, as they say on here job's a good un (few quid in the back pocket) and of to the next one lol
And you’re solution regarding the conduit would be?

Thanks

By the sounds of it, whilst less than ideal and probably overdue being redone (as you say), if you've got decent enough IR readings, and the metal plates are all earthed back by a connector, then YES is the answer, it's compliant.

Reply to 2 core cable to metal light switches in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net