Discuss 2 core SWA sub main in domestic flats in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

MTI

Hi all, so what would be your plan of attack.....

Gone to have a quick look at some remedial/maintenance on a domestic flat within listed building. Mixed occupancy of rented and owned.
Owner not present but another person lets me in. Im told metering equipment and incomer is in basement but cannot access today as homeowner taken key to work blah blah

Quick skeg at cu says old 2 core swa glanded direct into metallic board with wrong size gland and loose lockring. no main fly lead to met in board from swa banjo and is rewireable wylex. signs of oxidising on SWA and cannot access incomer to establish means of earthing until tomorrow. Ze at cu is 0.49 from armouring (without cleaning but regardless no idea of main earth until morning). Some other signs off ruff stuff been done here and there and one 6mm earth leaves board to id imagine water as no gas but will confirm this tomorrow.

Client is pretty adamant he does not want a new cu nor much to be done at all as he wants to sell asap (I know I know)

if it turns out to be pme which way would you head? made the call to my provider today but not overly happy with what I was given info wise...your call....check for signs of overheating etc. Thing is some of the internal wiring needs sorting - earths cut out etc on lighting and the list goes on. my question regards the swa and not the rest. ill just drag out the lighting, rcd spur above board which fuses down fan and controls my changes to lighting. Effectively if I sort (improve) the swa and put fly lead in, I will be improving but altering the entire installation and when I mentioned this, I didn't get the answers I wanted. That's like swapping mcb for rcbo or the like and walking without testing!

and yes....im buying new GN books!

Reply to 2 core SWA sub main in domestic flats in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock