Discuss 2 FCUs from a radial in garage in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm planning my wiring for my garage and can't find the answer easily for this question

my garage is connected to my house, there is a 2.5mm cable reel fed from the CU.
I will be supplying 7 double sockets and 2 led light fittings from this cable
I will put a 3amp FCU to supply the lights
and a 13amp FCU to supply an outside double socket (I want to be able to turn it off and on)

my issue is figuring out where to put my FCU's.
The best way for my plan is to run 6 double sockets then at the end fit a 13amp FCU supplying the outside double socket and then connecting the 3amp FCU to the LOAD side of the 13amp FCU and supplying the lights from there

alternatively I could supply the 3amp FCU from socket 5 and the 13amp FCU from socket 6

Which would be the correct method? or if neither could you help with a solution

Cheers

cable reel???

Hi,

I'm planning my wiring for my garage and can't find the answer easily for this question

my garage is connected to my house, there is a 2.5mm cable reel fed from the CU.
I will be supplying 7 double sockets and 2 led light fittings from this cable
I will put a 3amp FCU to supply the lights
and a 13amp FCU to supply an outside double socket (I want to be able to turn it off and on)

my issue is figuring out where to put my FCU's.
The best way for my plan is to run 6 double sockets then at the end fit a 13amp FCU supplying the outside double socket and then connecting the 3amp FCU to the LOAD side of the 13amp FCU and supplying the lights from there

alternatively I could supply the 3amp FCU from socket 5 and the 13amp FCU from socket 6

Which would be the correct method? or if neither could you help with a solution

Cheers
Are you an Electrician?, what electrical experience do you have, Sunil?

7 double sockets ?

What are you planning on doing in there and what is the breaker size in the fuse board?

Why an SFCU for the outside socket when a double pole switch would suffice?

I would not feed the lighting FCU from the load side of the outdoor socket FCU. What would be the point?
If you were to switch off the FCU to turn off the socket, you would also turn off the lights.
FCUs should be wired the same as sockets, feed in and feed out to the next accessory in the same terminations.

Thanks for the replies

Cable reel.. a length of 2.5 t&e on a reel that's been fed from the consumer unit

There is a 20 amp MCB that will be used

7 double sockets, 2 for outside the house, 1 for the garage door, 1 for the the washing machine and the others are just in corners..

Spinlondon. I meant the supply side just miswrote, thanks for noticing
Would that allow the lights to work at anytime?

Strima. True, but if I can I'd rather use the fcu as it's the same make and range as the other fittings

Hi Sunil. Exactly how is your garage connected to the house ie cable type, size, physical protection and distance?

It is attached to the side of the house, and there is a 2.5mm t&e cable that has been fed from the CU to the garage. The 2.5mm cable will be connected to the CU with a 20amp MCB when ready
Literally 1m from the CU - No physical protection as the cable is in the wall

Last edited:
7 double sockets in a garage? Sounds like a grow house if you ask me!!
Had the entire house rewired.. I've got 35+ double sockets on 3 rings, 10+ ethernet points, 5+ satellite points.. I'm fine with overkill, as I won't be overloading.
I just want the convenience of being able to put a fridge in my garage in any corner in the future, and to be able to plug in my lawn mower/pressure washer at the front and back of the house without feeding through a door/window

To control the outside socket, I would use a 20A switch rather than an FCU.
I would use an FCU for the lighting as you would want to fuse down to 3 or 5A.

Reply to 2 FCUs from a radial in garage in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock