Discuss 2 gang 1 way switch wiring in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi, this is my first post so excuse me if I don’t know the etiquette. I’m also not an electrician so may not know all the terminology. My issue is as follows: I am attempting to wire a backdoor outside light to an existing indoor porch switch. I have changed the switch to 2 gang and wired the existing inside porch light to 1 gang and it works ok. I have attempted to wire the new outside light to the second gang on the switch but nothing happened. I tried bridging the Live from gang 1 Com to Live on gang 2 com, that didn’t work. I also tried bridging neutrals in gang 1 through Both L1 but when you turned 1 light on the other went off and visa versa. I tried connecting the neutrals through the L2’s, didn’t work. I must also add that the wires to the light switch are both red with an earth connected to the plastics switch case. I used a neon screw driver to test for permanent live which I put in The Com terminal and the other red in the L1 terminal.

2 gang 1 way switch wiring 2B03D9A5-CACA-4961-9FE5-7CEA496DA7BB - EletriciansForums.net

Hi, this is my first post so excuse me if I don’t know the etiquette. I’m also not an electrician so may not know all the terminology. My issue is as follows: I am attempting to wire a backdoor outside light to an existing indoor porch switch. I have changed the switch to 2 gang and wired the existing inside porch light to 1 gang and it works ok. I have attempted to wire the new outside light to the second gang on the switch but nothing happened. I tried bridging the Live from gang 1 Com to Live on gang 2 com, that didn’t work. I also tried bridging neutrals in gang 1 through Both L1 but when you turned 1 light on the other went off and visa versa. I tried connecting the neutrals through the L2’s, didn’t work. I must also add that the wires to the light switch are both red with an earth connected to the plastics switch case. I used a neon screw driver to test for permanent live which I put in The Com terminal and the other red in the L1 terminal.

View attachment 49203
Hi Roger. Looks like you need an electrician.

your problem appears to be that you don't have a neutral in that switch. best get a local sparks in to find out where he/she can get a N.

If the painted cable is the original cable then you don't have a neutral present. As it stands your new light will not function.

Thanks guys,
That’s what I assumed but wasn’t sure. I’m still not sure why the porch light works with no neutral but that’s probably the limit of my electrical knowledge.

Thanks guys,
That’s what I assumed but wasn’t sure. I’m still not sure why the porch light works with no neutral but that’s probably the limit of my electrical knowledge.
Because the neutral is at the porch light and not the switch.

The porch light functions because the neutral is at the fitting and the line is taken to the switch then returned back to the fitting, commonly known as three plate wiring.

Because the neutral is at the porch light and not the switch.

The porch light functions because the neutral is at the fitting and the line is taken to the switch then returned back to the fitting, commonly known as three plate wiring.

Right, that makes a lot of sense and makes the job a lot harder than I first thought.
Looks like I will need a sparky.

That you all, I appreciate your informative responses to my first post

Reply to 2 gang 1 way switch wiring in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock