Discuss 2 gang and 1 gang switch change help in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

ajmayers

DIY
Reaction score
Hi

In our hall we have an old 2 gang switch which controls the downstairs and upstairs lights.

There is also a 2nd 1 gang switch upstairs which just controls the upstairs light.

I am struggling to figure the wiring on the new switches, can anyone help which wire goes where on the new switches?

Pictures of both the old and new upstairs and downstairs switches attached.

Many thanks

2 gang and 1 gang switch change help DownOld - EletriciansForums.net
Downstairs Old Switch

2 gang and 1 gang switch change help DownNew - EletriciansForums.net
Downstairs New Switch

2 gang and 1 gang switch change help UpstairsOld - EletriciansForums.net
Upstairs Old Switch

2 gang and 1 gang switch change help UpstairsNew - EletriciansForums.net
Upstairs New Switch

I have to admit I’ve never seen light switches with the L1 and L2 in those locations before,

I would presume but check with testing before proceeding that the termination labelled L is the common.

Do not wire these up on my assumption. Either await another response to confirm this or get them tested or check the installation instruction that it should have come with.

looking at those pics, it would appear that you have what is called a shared L or borrowed N. this is when the landing light has it's L from the downstairs circuit and N from the upstairs circuit. this can be dangerous and is not allowed for past 40+ years. please consult an electrician.

Sorry, Tel, where are you seeing that? How can you tell there's 2 circuits involved?
I just see blacks being used as switchwires or strappers without any identification.

I agree with @Paignton pete that the new switch needs tested with a multimeter or something to know for sure which terminal would be the common

the link between the 2 gang switches downstairs shows that L to landing is from downstairs. the common terminal upstairs has single sheathed cable to landing light. ergo L from 1 circuit. N from another. (unless of course, it's all 1 circuit anyway)

Thanks for everyone's responses so far - i appreciate it - i may get an electrician in to be safe if nobody has a definite answer...
If it helps this is the diagram from the switches - but I do not think is very helpful

I have a 1x 1 gang for upstairs and a 1x 2 gang switch for downstairs
2 gang and 1 gang switch change help Trendi - EletriciansForums.net

Don't know if you've sorted it or not, but looking at those pics, it looks pretty simple (unless testing proves otherwise) then in the 2 gang switch you put the two red cables you have labeled as common into the 'L', the t&e of red and black (upstairs) into 'L1' and 'L2' (strappers) and the remaining black into 'L1' downstairs.
The upstairs one, you put the red and black into the same 'L1 and L2' as the downstairs switch. If you put red into 'L1' then do the same. The grey single you labeled as common is actually the switch live and that goes into the 'L'
Hope this makes sense.

Reply to 2 gang and 1 gang switch change help in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock