Discuss 2 Gang Double Switch Problem in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I thought the symbol with the sine wave and the arrow is for the dimmed output?

no.it's the common.

Both of the connectors in the first 3 pics are dimmers. It a double dimmer switch. At the moment it works and dims both lights. So you think the two blues going in together shouldn’t be? Any idea where I should move one of them to? Sorry to be a pain.

One of the sleeved blues should go into the other switch, without looking at the back box or belling it out, it’s impossible to know which one. The rule with two way lighting is, whatever colours go into L1,L2 and Common in the main switch goes into the same one in the other, si your yellow, blue and red should be in the corresponding terminals in both switches.

Without further investigation, that’s the best I can do

Good luck

If that’s the common, then it shouldn’t be used to feed the second switch.
The live into the first switch, needs to go to either L1 or L2, with the switched live in the other L1 or L2 terminal.

If that’s the common, then it shouldn’t be used to feed the second switch.
The live into the first switch, needs to go to either L1 or L2, with the switched live in the other L1 or L2 terminal.

I was thinking that the feed for the plate is going into the one way dimmer common first.....

I was thinking that the feed for the plate is going into the one way dimmer common first.....
Could be.
Either way it would make the 2 way common live all the time.
Live feed in needs to go to L1 or L2.
Switched live from the other L1 or L2 terminal.
Unless the switched live is at the other end, but then you wouldn’t need 3 core between the switches.

Move the blue from L1 to common.
Move the blue and yellow from L2 to L1.
Move the 2 reds from common to L2.
At the other end move the blue from L3 to L2.

Weird, I’m in middle of four lighting threads at the moment.
Two here and two on another forum.

Thank you all so much for your replies. I have been poorly for a few days so just catching up. I will try some of your suggestions. Spinlondon, your remedy sounds the most simple for my little brain I will try tomorrow if I am feeling better and report back

Quick update. I have been in hospital (no I didn’t blow myself up lol) so haven’t even looked at it, but I will do in a few days maybe, and try some of your suggestions, and report back. Thank you all for taking time to reply, it is much appreciated

Reply to 2 Gang Double Switch Problem in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock