Discuss 2 gang extension plugged into spurred socket in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I recently spurred a double socket off the ring main to wall mount the TV and sky q mini box. I have now added a soundbar so need another socket. So if I understand this correctly I’m only allowed to spur one socket from the ring. If I added a 13 amp fused switch before my spurred socket I could add another socket (or as many as I like) to accommodate the sound bar.
As a temporary measure am I ok to plug a 2 gang extension into my spurred socket....so TV is plugged into spur....soundbar and sky Q mini plugged into extension which in turn is plugged into the other socket on the spur. Is this acceptable to run an extension lead off a spurred socket?? Thanks in advance

Yes, if you restrict the total load for the spur by either using one single (or double socket), or multiple socket outlets supplied via one fused connection unit (fcu).

It doesn't have to be switched

You can also run a multi gang extension socket off the initial socket outlet.

You shouldn't use two (one off each in a double outlet) really, as the total load could add up to 26A whilst the cable forming the spur is suitable for 20A or so.

It is technically possible to use two heaters at 13A each in the double outlet - exceeding the spur cable in the same way; however this is very unlikely, but using two multi extension leads it would be easy to end up at 26A total due to the shear quantity of sockets that could be available

Last edited:
Yes, if you restrict the total load for the spur by either using one single (or double socket), or multiple socket outlets supplied via one fused connection unit (fcu).

It doesn't have to be switched

You can also run a multi gang extension socket off the initial socket outlet.

You shouldn't use two (one off each in a double outlet) really, as the total load could add up to 26A whilst the cable forming the spur is suitable for 20A or so.

It is technically possible to use two heaters at 13A each in the double outlet - exceeding the spur cable in the same way; however this is very unlikely, but using two multi extension leads it would be easy to end up at 26A total due to the shear quantity of sockets that could be available
Hi. That’s great thanks. So technically I could just leave my set up as it is with the extension lead?

Hi. That’s great thanks. So technically I could just leave my set up as it is with the extension lead?
Yes,

I have the same in my home, behind each media centre (like a bedside cabinet with radio/alarm, lamp and phone charger) I fix a multi extension lead to the back of the cabinet, so just the one cable to the wall.

They are all small loads in general so as long as the extension cable is good for 13A it works fine

Yes,

I have the same in my home, behind each media centre (like a bedside cabinet with radio/alarm, lamp and phone charger) I fix a multi extension lead to the back of the cabinet, so just the one cable to the wall.

They are all small loads in general so as long as the extension cable is good for 13A it works fine
...but from a spurred socket and not one on the ring?

As Julie mentioned, but possibly worth emphasizing, these are small loads. The total consumption will be a couple of amps. You could run 5 TVs, 5 soundbars and 10 Sky boxes off your double socket spur via an arrangement of multi-socket extensions, without exceeding the spur's current rating. At my workbench I have about 40 pieces of equipment on one 16A radial circuit (current-wise it would all run on one 13A plug, but the earth leakage would exceed the recommended maximum of 3.5mA for a BS1363 plug)

The limitation of a spur to serve a single point reduces the likelihood of someone trying to run say four 2kW heaters from one spur, which would overload the cable without tripping the ring MCB.

The power rating of the extension cable and the TVs may have an impact on how many TVs you can put into it.
However, if they are all plugged into an extension cord, it is not advised to utilize multiple electronic gadgets at once. Although a TV usually has a moderate power consumption, it is best to only use one or two of them to avoid wires from overheating.

The power rating of the extension cable and the TVs may have an impact on how many TVs you can put into it.
However, if they are all plugged into an extension cord, it is not advised to utilize multiple electronic gadgets at once. Although a TV usually has a moderate power consumption, it is best to only use one or two of them to avoid wires from overheating.
You've not read the previous replies.

Edit: Fair comment from #13.

Last edited:
Very different in the US where they don’t have fused plugs, so they have to be very aware of what is all plugged into one outlet.

I’m sure the OP has had a great year and a bit watching his TV, knowing it’s safely plugged in.

But a little side note on extension leads.

Some are only designed for 10A not 13, and will have a 10A fuse. If this fuse blows, replace with the same size…. Don’t put a 13 in.

And for cable reels…. The long ones on a drum… unreel them fully to use, as leaving them coiled up with a high load on them can generate heat build up as it can’t dissipate.

Reply to 2 gang extension plugged into spurred socket in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net