Discuss 2 gang socket wiring. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Mazak

-
Reaction score
Maybe obvious, but are any regulations how to fit earth cables?
They always say all must be terminated to back box.
So when 2 cables coming to the box 3 wires sleaved with green/yellow should be inside.
1 of them ending in back box?
Right?
I hope you understand me.
I will make picture later.

Last edited:
No Regulations as such.
However I would advocate terminating both legs in the socket front to maintain the CSA of the CPC.
A fly lead from the socket front to the back box can be used, but it is generally accepted that if there is one fixed lug in the back box, then the fixing screws will be be sufficient.

what he said. also, id the socket faceplate is metal.it's more important to connect the cpc's to that, rather than the back box. personally, i prefer that and a fly lead to the box as well.

i terminate both incoming cpc into earth terminal in metal back box and run 2.5 green/yellow conduit wire into the socket. keeps it tidy in there.

Agree also with Spinlondon, that is the way it should be done IMO, Both cables to socket and then one to the box, but as mentioned a fixed lug will mean it does not have to be done to the box.

No need to run fly lead to back boxes any more that was so 90's.

Really?? I can't remember a project that i've ever worked on from the 80's to the present where fly leads from the faceplate to the back boxes haven't been called for, and not just for socket outlets either!!

Well i think they should have fly leads and i think that you think the same. I ve seen different people not earth metal back boxes chased into the wall.

I do agree, but according to the all knowing, all seeing BGB the same situation exists as with a flush metal socket outlet, in that a back box fixed lug and face plate fixing screw will suffice as the back box means of earthing!! eg, ...No difference!!

Thanks for that (especially to who write in proper English, as I don't undestand sloppy sentences).

I believe it might be small difference between that 2 options you are talking about in resistance.
1rst - when earth cables going directly to socket and flying wire going to back box.
2nd - when earth cables going directly to back box and flying wire is going to the socket.
In my opinion is much better to do it as 1.

Other thing is more chance to loosing one connection than two, so it is also better if it comes to failure.
Anyway is not much more work to add fly lead of 2.5 mm wire.

In my mind metal back boxes that are buried in walls, are not really exposed.
Whereas surface mounted ones are.
Relying on a couple of screws to earth something that can't in normal use be touched, is one thing.

Your not supposed to remove any energised equipment so if the socket box has a fixed lug and the CPCs connected to the face plate then the whole thing safe and continuity assured. That said I always drop a fly lead to the back box, but again no need, good practice rather than rules.

For the amount of time and little material it takes, I see no reason not to earth the back box. It is correct that if there is a fixed lug then regs do not require a fly lead, and equipment should be de-energised before removal but I like to err on the side of caution and allow for Joe public ie decorators for example.

Just about the only time I tend to use the earth lug on a normal metal pattress is when it's a switch. Metal Clads I always join the mounting box with a flying lead, more because of habit than anything else.

But, I've often wondered about how better earthing on a back box may/not affect the Zs in some small way, particularly in many of the older damper properties around here. To my way of thinking, you end up with a 'web' of conductivity via the structure and all those parallel paths add up to something. Maybe. Just curiosity more than anything else!

Thanks for that (especially to who write in proper English, as I don't undestand sloppy sentences).

I believe it might be small difference between that 2 options you are talking about in resistance.
1rst - when earth cables going directly to socket and flying wire going to back box.
2nd - when earth cables going directly to back box and flying wire is going to the socket.
In my opinion is much better to do it as 1rst.

1rst
- when earth cables going directly to socket and flying wire going to back box.
In my opinion is much better to do it as 1rst.

You may want to look at your own English and spelling!! lol!!

Reply to 2 gang socket wiring. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net