Discuss 2 Gang Switch Wiring in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Apologies for the dumb a***e nature of this question to you guys, but my son was doing some decoration and took off a two gang switch (that switches two different light fittings) but did not record where the wires went so he is not sure how to wire it back up. It has two cables coming into the back box, both with blue, yellow, red and earth. Could anyone let me know how to wire this back into the front plate/switches?
Many thanks

It would be breaking Forum rules to supply the info you require I believe, for safety reasons only.
If you post your location some Members that are close may offer to poparound and help you out.
Failing that I believe you should contact an Electrician, not a long job, 30 minutes at most, not worth you having a go and causing any extra damage, please let us know how you get on.

Simple answer is no.
However, if there are two switches and two cables, it would suggest that one cable feeds one switch and the other cable feeds the other switch.
The fact that the colours used are Red, Yellow and blue, suggests that these are two way switches, and that there is another switch for each of these switches.
If that is the case, then a quick look at those other switches will show where the wires go.

if OP looks in 1 of the other switches, he'll also probably see a T/E, red/black. @OP, do as spin suggests. the other switch will tell you which colour is into C. the other 2 colours go into L1 and L2 respectively. make sure the earth (cpc) is connected to back box if plastic switch... to faceplate if metal. if not confident, call, a local sparks, as said it's a 30 minute job.

Take a pic of one of the other switches and post it up on here. Also if the switch wiring your son has messed with. This may help us.
Tell your son, in future take pics of the wiring before messing with anything. Of course, making sure it's safely isolated before doing this.

Reply to 2 Gang Switch Wiring in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock