Discuss 2 Lighting Circuits on one 6A CB in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

It is always a good idea to split the lighting if possible, 1 onto each RCD, so that you don't lose everything if 1 trips. The problem arises if the 2 circuits share a neutral (I think this is what sparks1973 was getting onto), as you will end up with an imbalance. Have you checked for shared neutrals? If you have, and the 2 circuits are completely separate, then I would split them across the RCD's. This is, after all, the reasoning behind dual RCD boards.

I did do a IR test between N/E and this what confirmed that they were separate. To be sure (as i am still a Newbie) i removed one of the circuits in the CU from CB, connector blocked it, and then energised (after replacing cover of course!) Then simply turned on the lights down stairs and just a case of elimination, i repeated for other circuit to confirm. I guess long way round but had time and didnt take too long.

I also do have a number of spare ways in the CU, I have just thought though i am installing a new kitchen (i also fit kitchens with my bro, so pretty handy) and think i am going to put in downlighters, so will more likely have to upgrade to a 10A CB so thinking leaving the one porch light circuit on 6A and moving the rest of the downstairs and new kitchen lights to 10A CB.

In the house we are in there are 5 lives stuffed in to a rewirable fuse, CU! Landlords agreed to let me sort the mess that are our electrics out though and pay for it :)

Totally agree Guitarist, the upstairs lights are already on the other RCD, I now plan to move the porch light circuit on to the upstairs RCD and put in a new 10A CB for the downstairs, as mentioned before, installing downlighters in kitchen very soon. I was taught that it was always best practice to have all circuits on separate CB where possible, hence i asked this original question.

At the moment, it is one circuit.
A circuit is defined as: "An assembly of electrical equipment supplied from the same origin and protected against overcurrent by the same protective device(s)."
The fact that there are two conductors in one MCB is immaterial, it is one circuit.

I would leave it as is, cant see anything wrong with the porch light added via MCB, and agree with spinlondon that this is one circuit.
IMO, I would rather do it this way (at MCB) than hidden junction box under floor/ above ceiling.

That's my thinking as well.
I would have wanted to know what each lighting leg fed and whether they could be separated or whether they shared a neutral. If the latter then they would have to be regarded as one circuit and kept together in the same breaker.

With these new 16 - 20 way CCUs you can have lots of separate circuits without the need for sharing.

One quick way to check besides IR testing across the neutrals would be to place one leg on one RCD and the other leg on another RCD. If both RCDs trip out when a light is switch on then you have a neutral across the two legs

- - - Updated - - -

I would have wanted to know what each lighting leg fed and whether they could be separated or whether they shared a neutral. If the latter then they would have to be regarded as one circuit and kept together in the same breaker.

With these new 16 - 20 way CCUs you can have lots of separate circuits without the need for sharing.

One quick way to check besides IR testing across the neutrals would be to place one leg on one RCD and the other leg on another RCD. If both RCDs trip out when a light is switch on then you have a neutral across the two legs

- - - Updated - - -

As others have said we should be clear that there is ONE circuit supplied by the protective device. By definition you have one circuit (and indeed there can be good reasons for designing this way e.g. to limit Zs/volt drop).

Reply to 2 Lighting Circuits on one 6A CB in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock