Discuss 2 Meters 2 CU Smart Meter Installation in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

drurydd1

DIY
Reaction score
Hi,

Currently We have 2 meters and each meter is connected to 2 CU. We are looking to upgrade to a smart meter. At the moment OVO have no slots for my area however, when I do get a slot they will replace 1 of the meters and remove the other they bit I'm not sure about is how will the 2nd CU connect into the smart meter? Will I need to get an electrician to daisy chain the 2 CU from the smart meter?

Below is a picture of my setup. The Top CU is for Lights and sockets. The Bottom CU is for the dry heaters and water heater.
IMG_20201203_204215.jpg

If the OVO installer can't work out how to connect the 2 CUs to a meter then I would suggest they also have velcro instead of laces and should not be allowed out in public without a carer.

No, you won't need an electrician to attend.

Edit: I can't see an earth for the top CU, when was it last inspected?

If the OVO installer can't work out how to connect the 2 CUs to a meter then I would suggest they also have velcro instead of laces and should not be allowed out in public without a carer.

No, you won't need an electrician to attend.

Edit: I can't see an earth for the top CU, when was it last inspected?
HAHAHAHAH will if I see a 2nd person wearing lacey blue nurses uniform I'll know not to let them in.

Thanks for clearing that up for me and it has a recommended next inspection date of 2000

Thanks for clearing that up for me and it has a recommended next inspection date of 2000
Only 20 years overdue then. It would be worth getting a periodic inspection carried out.

There was a recent post where the "Smart Meter" installer had got it all wrong with a 2 rate installation, but there was a wall between the meter and the Consumer unit.
Fortunately this installation is compact.

For reference for others it would be handy if the O.P could post a Pic of the completed and working meter installation after OVO have worked their magic.

I believe Scotish Hydro and or their predecessor used multi tariff setups.
The setup above appears to be 3 rate, Standard on the small meter and 2 Off peaks on the larger meter.

It'll be interesting to see how OVO set it up.

There was a recent post where the "Smart Meter" installer had got it all wrong with a 2 rate installation, but there was a wall between the meter and the Consumer unit.
Fortunately this installation is compact.

For reference for others it would be handy if the O.P could post a Pic of the completed and working meter installation after OVO have worked their magic.

I believe Scotish Hydro and or their predecessor used multi tariff setups.
The setup above appears to be 3 rate, Standard on the small meter and 2 Off peaks on the larger meter.

It'll be interesting to see how OVO set it up.
I'll be sure to post an after pic. Not sure when I'll get an install date but I'll post one when I do.

Thanks

Looking at the picture you have two meters with different tariffs, this will have to be sorted before any install goes ahead to be able to ditch one of the meters.

Strange set up

Looking at the picture you have two meters with different tariffs, this will have to be sorted before any install goes ahead to be able to ditch one of the meters.

Strange set up
Yeah we have 2 tariffs stand for the lights and sockets. THTC is for the "heating". It's a strange setup alright and we're keen to get away from it. OVO said the billing won't be an issue because there separate. Newly moved in and don't like having 2 bill's for 2 meters

Fairly common set up under different names. “Total control” heating springs to mind.
Theres 3 main switches in the bottom board, grouped as storage heaters (off peak timed), panel heaters, bathroom and maybe an electric fire (on 24hr) and the immersion boost on its own.
Each of these groups are on a different tariff to the general lighting and power.

If OVO can’t figure it out, they shouldn’t be offering a smart meter.

Yeah we have 2 tariffs stand for the lights and sockets. THTC is for the "heating". It's a strange setup alright and we're keen to get away from it. OVO said the billing won't be an issue because there separate. Newly moved in and don't like having 2 bill's for 2 meters
The physical aspect of the wiring is not the issue, the way I see it if a job is raised to remove a meter that is what the meter installer will do because its a disconnection of metering equipment so tails will be left disconnected, it may be the case that an isolater needs installing so your own electrician can reconnect tails.

which beggars the question, why want a spy meter? it does not save anything on your leccy bill. turning things off saves.

Reply to 2 Meters 2 CU Smart Meter Installation in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net