SuperlecDirect - ElectriciansForums.net Electrical Suppliers
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss 2 questions!! in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

evo666

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

My first real post and I have 2 in 1 (the start of things to come)

First one

I am a genral builder that has carried out loads of electrical work in the past (over 10 years ago) and have just done my Part P. I have taken on a job that was started by another company. The entire electrical work was completed before I started (the company was thrown of the job). Now that customer needs her Electrical Installation Certifficate, can I do it??
If so how do I complete the form as I was neither the designer or constructor??!!

Second one
I have been asked to re-wire some lights, the customer wants downlighters in all rooms. Would I wire them in series (link from fitting to fitting) or use a JB of some description (like a ceiling rose??)
I hope that makes sense

Be nice to me ;)

T

TonyM58

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Evo,

Ok, you could do an EIC short form, but you have to accept that when you sign it, you are taking repsonsibility for the installation. If the customer had shock of a circuit because of problems you cant see behind the plaster etc, then bottom line is its your signature!

A 'get out' could be, that on the EIC under "extent of installation covered by this cerificate" you state that the work was carried out by a seperate contractor, although this would still be a pretty weak argument if the doo-doos hit the fan.

If the original firm were a member of NIC etc then I would be calling on them to force the frim into signing for the work they have done, as they have contravened the regs

But at the end of the day, you have no resposnsibilities (as it stands) for this installation.
i would want lots of folding stuff before i would sign off someone elses work and take responsibility for it (which you would be doing):eek:

E

evo666

Thats is about what I thought . Thanks for that buddy.

The only good thng about it is I did the plastering and had a check of the installation before it was done, so a little piece of mind. I have had to redo a few bits.
Just anoter quick one.......
The boiler spur is not within 2m of the appliance and it is hidden behind a draw unit in the Kitchen. To my mind I would state the the instalation is not up to BS7671. Should I change it or just run away kicking and screaming???

Again, Thanks

T

TonyM58

Evo,

It depends i suppose on how 'hidden' it is.

All connections (except crimping etc) have to be accessible for inspection and maintenance etc etc, I suppose if you were to note its location on the certs.......:cool:

J

jordyboy004

seems like your 1st question has been answered correctly. i would not be too kean on signing work i have not done specially if the company that had done it got thrown out. id stay away from that if it was me, and in answer to your downlights, depending on which units you use, (i recommend JCC) its tricky to get 2 T+E 1.5mm into one light and some of them dont have terminals for the earth, when i do them i use little JBS (J210s) then a fly lead from the JB to the light, maybe a little more work but overall i find it better. also keeps earth continuity if the lights dont cater for it and if one light fails it doesnt stop the rest of them there after working. just the one light is out

E

evo666

Cheers for that jordyboy

CK Tools :) The professionals choice when it comes to Electrical Tools

Reply to 2 questions!! in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Aico Carbon Monoxide Detectors
Top Bottom