Discuss 2 showers off of 1 supply? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I have a customer who has an existing electric shower fed by 10mm t&e, cable is buired in wall(plasterboard) fitted when house was built approx 13 years ago. They now want another electric shower fitted to the ensuite but does not want the house torn apart to run a new cable and doesnt want surface trunking. They asked if I can connect the second shower to the original circuit but load would be to high so can any one suggest an isolator/switch that can be fitted tp allow only one shower to be used at any one time.

Thanks

Thanks for the suggestion, I ( or rather the tight fisted customer)was hoping for something a bit cheaper

Some customers just make me laugh. For about £120 plus installation they can have a non-standard system with minimal disruption, and they want it CHEAPER!
Not even worth dealing with some people.

What about a 4 pole contactor with 2 x NO & 2 x NC contacts. The coil could be operated by one of the shower pull cords fused down.

Anyway, if you can only run one shower at a time, doesn't it defeat the object of having two showers?

She lives alone in a 3 bed house and wants a shower in the en-suite, she promises she will only usw 1 at a time( yeah right) I just want to ensure that in future should the situation change both showers cant be run together.
I know I should just tell her to do it right and install a new circuit but there are no spare ways in c.u. and was looking for a more cost effective alternative or John the odd job man will get the job and fry somebody or burn the house down.

Thanks for all the replies, I was asking for a possible solution to the problem and Des 56 has come up with 2, thanks Des. In the current economic climate I just want to find the best possible solution for the customer and still get the job.
Thanks

She lives alone in a 3 bed house and wants a shower in the en-suite, she promises she will only usw 1 at a time( yeah right) I just want to ensure that in future should the situation change both showers cant be run together.
I know I should just tell her to do it right and install a new circuit but there are no spare ways in c.u. and was looking for a more cost effective alternative or John the odd job man will get the job and fry somebody or burn the house down.

Priority unit already mentioned is the way to go. She can either pay for it or not have it done. Make it clear that those are the only 2 options, and having someone else botch it up is not a 3rd. It's amazing how many people take you seriously if you put your big boys pants on and tell them with authority in your voice :)

Reply to 2 showers off of 1 supply? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net