Discuss 2 single phase meters in series in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I maintain the electrical installation for an old building that is converted into flats. The DNO only owns the transformer and we have a single electricity meter for the whole site. All of the switchgear is ours and the flats have submeters that are also ours (the management company that own the building).

I've got a flat with an electricity meter in an incredibly awkward place (10 foot up at the back of a tight crawl space). Every year, I have to climb up a ladder and get in there to read the meter and I'd like this year to be the last time.

I was thinking of adding a second meter near their CU. The CU was moved to ground level in another room years ago before I got here - using about 15m of unprotected meter tails, which is an interesting choice but I digress.

My question is, would having 2 single phase meters in series affect the metering of either? I could go and replace the original meter with a Henley block, but it's a pain and if there's no issue then I don't see any point.

I can't think of anything wrong with doing this, can anyone else?

It will also avoid any disputes when inevitably a minor discrepancy arises between the two due to normal tolerance on the measurement accuracy. The upstream meter will also register the (tiny) running load of the downstream meter and should in theory read high, but if it is found to read low then the customer might ask to be billed from that.

Should really be fitted with seals, otherwise live terminals can be accessed 'without the use of a tool'.
Can they? The last couple of digital ones I fitted still required a screwdriver to take the plastic cover off and expose the terminals. It was this sort of style: 1 Phase 100A MID Approved Meter - https://www.cef.co.uk/catalogue/products/4326507-1-phase-100a-mid-approved-meter

That said I just looked on CEF and plastic meter seals are 32p so I will splash out on some of those :)

Reply to 2 single phase meters in series in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock