• Welcome to the new forum. We're now hosted on ElectriciansForums.net rather than ElectriciansForums.co.uk - Chat about the forum upgrade by CLICKING HERE

Welcome to our Electrical Forum - We started out providing electrical advice just for the UK - But now we have specific advice for the USA too! - Register for free and share American Electrical Advice.

Discuss 2 speed hood fan wiring in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Stewart2805

New EF Member
Hope someone can help
I’ve removed a 2 speed extractor motor from cooker hood with 4 cables: white, blue, black and orange.
Unfortunately the replacement motors cables are white, black, brown and red.
Can anyone advice on how to wire the new motor in

Marvo

Admin and gender confused
Staff member
Admin
Is there no wiring information with the new motor?

If you know the wiring of the old motor ie which wire is common, low speed, and hi speed then you can usually figure out the windings of a new motor by testing the resistance between the various wires. The lower the resistance when measured with respect to the common, the higher the speed.

Stewart2805

New EF Member
Thanks
Unfortunately I’m not sure I can work out which does what
I was hoping 2 or 3 of the wires were going to be fairly standard and then the final one would be by deduction

Marvo

Admin and gender confused
Staff member
Admin
Unfortunately there's no reliable standard for the wiring colours. The Americans sometimes use white for common and I can't remember their usual colours for the various speeds (ASHRAE or NEMA standards). The europeans have another colour code they sometimes use (but not always) and the Chinese usually use whatever colours take their fancy on the particular day.

I'd go back to the supplier and demand a wiring diagram if I were you.

anthonybragg

Electrician's Arms
Sometimes in the installation manual, there is an internal wiring diagram. If you don't have it maybe google it. What is the make and modal by the way?

Stewart2805

New EF Member
Thanks for your suggestions
It’s a 135w motor that fits in a howdens Lamona extractor hood
I will contact the supplier....as you say....surely they will be aware of the wiring colour change
Thanks

ian.

Active EF Member
SPARES2GO 135W Motor Fan Unit for LAMONA Howdens Cooker Hood Clockwise RH Directional

• 135W Complete Motor, Connectors and Fan Housing Unit made for SPARES2GO to fit Lamona Cooker Hood / Extractor Vent
  • Fits models: All models of Lamona cooker hood / kitchen vent extractor fan with standard specifications as per this listing.
  • Specifications: Power 135W / 230V -- Clockwise Right Hand Directional Rotation -- 3 Speed motor wiring (RED = Neutral, BLACK - Live (speed 1), WHITE = Live (speed 2), BROWN = Live (speed 3) -- Case diameter: 185mm -- Diameter of fan wheel: 140mm -- Overall depth: 100mm -- Fan wheel depth: 55mm -- Connector cable length: 40mm
  • Premium quality, fully compatible complete replacement motor unit

Electrician Talk

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
Electrical 2 Go - Electrical Supplier and Electrical Wholesalers
Electrical Insurance
ElectriciansForums.net (formerly known as ElectriciansForums.co.uk) was setup in April 2006 to provide free electrical advice to both professional and DIY electricians. Whether seeking advice for auto electrics, trying to find electrical installation condition reports (EICR) form downloads, or whether you're here just to talk to other electricians; we've been a first-choice website for tens of thousands of sparkies for well over a decade.