Discuss 2 spurs from a Junction Box....worried? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi folks.

I cut one of the cables on my ring circuit, attached the 2 now separate ends to a new 30a junction box, and then run 2 additional spurs from the same junction box, using 32a twin and earth, on the end of each of these new spurs is a twin plug socket with usb.

I did the work with my father in law, who’s an avid DIYer and has been doing diy for 60 years.

We did a really good job, cables cut nice, neat, secure, tested them, and all working.

Due to a rush to get the job done before decorators, I pre installed the new sockets and cabling, ready for the junction, and only then did I realise I should have extended the ring.....it was too late, I had sealed the walls up and could not get another cable in. We used a square 30a MK box, which had ample room for the cables.

These are bedside outlets, not for heavy consuming items.

Some forums and people have now put the fear of god in me that this is dangerous, however I have read mixed opinions (e.g. apparatly 1 spur from any point is the Reg, ok.....so I have 2 on mine, but is this really much different than if I added another junction 10 inches away for my second spur)

Is this really a concern to warrant me ripping it all back out?

It’s a good tidy job.
I know there’s regulations and partP......hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Views?
Many thanks.

2 spurs from a Junction Box....worried? 452805D2-13E6-4F2C-A5C7-A949BBC783E1 - EletriciansForums.net

Personally I wouldn't do it, but I don't believe it's a breach of the regulations as you only have one double socket outlet at each spur.

I might however be tempted to change the junction box you have used.

It it's got screws in it, it should be accessible for inspection. Hager do a range of maintenance free boxes or you can use a Wagobox and suitable Wago connectors.

Hi. The junction box inside, had 3 big connectors. In each of the connectors, is 4 individual cables. From the 2 ends of the original ring cable, and 2 spurs.

It’s under a floorboard, but this is easily accessible, as I just pull back rug and take out 2 screws.

I attached the box to a piece of 2x4 horizontally, between joists, so not touching joists, ceiling below, or floorboard above.

It would have been better if you had put on the ring final circuit, however, cannot see anything to be worried about if installed correctly. Does the circuit have RCD/RCBO protection?

What do you mean by 3 way? In that junction there should be two ring cables and the two spurs.
Think he means 3 terminals, whatever it does no comply with the regulations. OP what do you mean by 32 Amp cable?

He's basically got two spurs originating from a point on the ring. On the end of each he has a double socket outlet.

I'm not being funny, but I don't see how that doesn't comply.

The junction box he's used doesn't comply because it's not accessible.

He's basically got two spurs originating from a point on the ring. On the end of each he has a double socket outlet.

No because he has taken what is surely, 2 separate spurs from the same point on a RFC , see Appendix 15

No because he has take what is surely 2 separate spurs from the same point on a RFC , see Appendix 15
We advise, they ignore ......
Oh right, thanks

Reply to 2 spurs from a Junction Box....worried? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock