Discuss 2 switch socket connection to a cable with a 3 pin plug at the end in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am looking to connect a two switched socket to a cable that has a three pin plug at the end (This is a cable with 3 individual cables within it i.e brown, blue and yellow/green in it). It looks really straightforward however at the back of the two switched socket, I noticed there is one live point, one neutral point and two earth points at the back. I assume I am to connect the brown /Live cable to the live point(L), the blue/neutral cable to the neutral point(N), however because they are two earth points at the back of the double socket switch, I am lost on which one to connect it to. Please find pictures which explain why I want to connect this way. Thanks once again for this forum, got a case resolved last time.

thumbnail.jpg

Sockets.jpg

Socket.jpg

thumbnail (1).jpg

If you have a continuity tester, it will show that these earth terminals are connected to each other,in your case it makes no difference which one you use

So, it looks like what you've made is essentially an extension lead, encased in mini-trunking.

Okay. Do you own a continuity tester?

If you do, put one probe on one earth terminal, and put the other on the other earth terminal.

You will find that there is continuity. That means there is electrical continuity between the terminals. As such, you can use either.

Be sure to fit an appropriate fuse to the plug approoproate to the multicore cable you've used. What size cable did you use? You've not mentioned.

EDIT: Lightning fingered Des beats me again... :)

So, it looks like what you've made is essentially an extension lead, encased in mini-trunking.

Okay. Do you own a continuity tester?

If you do, put one probe on one earth terminal, and put the other on the other earth terminal.

You will find that there is continuity. That means there is electrical continuity between the terminals. As such, you can use either.

Be sure to fit an appropriate fuse to the plug approoproate to the multicore cable you've used. What size cable did you use? You've not mentioned.

EDIT: Lightning fingered Des beats me again... :)

Thanks for your reply. I am using a 1 cm thick cable based on my measurements,which has the three individual cables within it. I am using a 13 Amp fuse which came with the the plug i bought.

Hi,

Thanks for this, I can increase the height if this is recommended as standard rule.
ignore the height. that's a building regulation for new build houses. fit it wherever height you want. however, the terminals on the back of a socket are not designed for fine strand flex. might be OK if you double the ends over. a better option would be to get an electrician to do the job using T/E cable.

Connect the earth to either terminal it does not matter they are linked together anyway, the brown and blue you are correct.

Some good pictures there! As they say "a picture describes a thousand words"

image.jpeg On some sockets the two earth terminals are not linked, although these wouldn't be used in domestic.

Saturday night banter Westie - ‘‘tis raining out and nothing in the tele!

The OP had a point about asking about the two earth terminals...that's all.

As far as i'm concerned if you have to ask the question that you did then you shouldn't be touching anything electric.Your family's lives are at risk due to you not understanding basic electrical theory so you shouldn't be trying to wire this up.
What if,as your screwing the socket up, the earth wire pops out of the terminal(this is more common than you think).Due to lack of testing after you have finished the job then the installation is left in a dangerous state.Why do you think electricians have to have 100's of pounds of test equipment?
Do you self a favour and get a qualified spark in to do this job properly.

In the mortal words of Harry Hill, "what are the chances of that happening?"

The mini trunking looks a decent job, at least they've used some 90degree covers on the bends! Seen worse on site, done by so called data cable installers (like parasites..they'll attach to anything they can tyrap their cables to!!)

In the mortal words of Harry Hill, "what are the chances of that happening?"

"So what's better in a domestic situation, a socket with 2 separate non connected earths or one with the earths already linked."

"There's only one way to find out,,,, Figgghht".

As far as i'm concerned if you have to ask the question that you did then you shouldn't be touching anything electric.Your family's lives are at risk due to you not understanding basic electrical theory so you shouldn't be trying to wire this up.
What if,as your screwing the socket up, the earth wire pops out of the terminal(this is more common than you think).Due to lack of testing after you have finished the job then the installation is left in a dangerous state.Why do you think electricians have to have 100's of pounds of test equipment?
Do you self a favour and get a qualified spark in to do this job properly.

Thanks for your reply. Due to the fact that I am not an electrician, although I have an idea of certain aspects of electrical works etc, this is my first time of going down this route of putting in a socket. The reason for coming here is to get that little extra bit of info as well as ensuring that the inner gut feeling one has is right and that I am on the right path. I wouldn't take risk that are way out of the ordinary and that's why I came here. I've literally gotten most of my house sorted myself where and when I can as funds can be tight sometimes. This is my first time of sorting out sockets and I'm grateful for the knowledge you all have shared. Many thanks.

Last edited:

Reply to 2 switch socket connection to a cable with a 3 pin plug at the end in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net