• Welcome to the new forum. We're now hosted on ElectriciansForums.net rather than ElectriciansForums.co.uk - Chat about the forum upgrade by CLICKING HERE

Welcome to our Electrical Forum - We started out providing electrical advice just for the UK - But now we have specific advice for the USA too! - Register for free and share American Electrical Advice.

Discuss 2 way 2 gang hall lightswitch how do I wire in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Andy Essex

New EF Member
1st time on here
I am changing a 2 gang lightswitch on my top landing that controls top landing light and the one on the floor below
The old switch is wired as follows
Blue wire with red sleeve to L2 top
Red wire to L3 top
Yellow wire with red sleeve to L1 bottom
Yellow with red sleeve to L1 top
2 red wires to L3 bottom
Black and blue wire to L2 bottom

New switch has the following

Top - comm , L2 , L1
Bottom L2 , L1 and comm

Can someone advise me what wires should go where

Thanks very much

Taylortwocities

Electrician's Arms
CCTV / Alarms
You are misunderstanding how the switches are laid out. Please post photos of the wiring side of:
  1. The existing switch before you disconnect anything
  2. The new switch

Reactions: DPG

ipf

Forum Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
DIY
blue, red, yellow, black...
where can i get that cable?
….old colours.....3 core between switches (R,Y, blue)...twin from light (R, black).
OP, if you don't understand, get professional help.

Pete999

Forum Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
….old colours.....3 core between switches (R,Y, blue)...twin from light (R, black).
OP, if you don't understand, get professional help.
Or call an Electrician

Dustydazzler

Regular EF Member
2way switching gets DIYers every time , especially when the orientation of the new switch terminals is slightly different....

Even as a time served sparks I am very careful to identify the cores when I remove a switch just incase I get sidetracked

Spoon

Forum Mentor
Electrician's Arms
CCTV / Alarms
Trainee Access
DIY
My favorite is when a light fitting is replaced..
“I put all the reds together and all the blacks and it just went bang”
But electrics is just 'red-to-red and black-to-black'.... Everyone knows that. :)

telectrix

Scouser and Proud.
Respected Member
Forum Mentor
Electrician's Arms
CCTV / Alarms
Solar Guru
Trainee Access
DIY
But electrics is just 'red-to-red and black-to-black'.... Everyone knows that. :)
red to red, black to black, blue to bits.

Andy78

Respected Member
Forum Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
My favorite is when a light fitting is replaced..
“I put all the reds together and all the blacks and it just went bang”
Or "now my light won't go off" or "the light I fitted works fine but now the living room and kitchen lights don't work"

Reactions: DPG

Electrician Talk

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
Electrical 2 Go - Electrical Supplier and Electrical Wholesalers
Electrical Insurance
ElectriciansForums.net (formerly known as ElectriciansForums.co.uk) was setup in April 2006 to provide free electrical advice to both professional and DIY electricians. Whether seeking advice for auto electrics, trying to find electrical installation condition reports (EICR) form downloads, or whether you're here just to talk to other electricians; we've been a first-choice website for tens of thousands of sparkies for well over a decade.