Discuss 2 way and intermediate switching in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

schoe

Hi all just a quick one, can you have 2 dimmers one at each end on a 2 way and intermediate lighting circuit? Or can you only have one dimmer (2 way) an intermediate switch and a standard 2 way switch?

Thanks chris

using normal dimmers, if sw1 is turned down, then sw2 will not bring the light on. this is because in effect you have 2 dimmers in series. however, i believe thasrt there is a particular type of dimmer that will allow you to use 2 dimmers.

Pretty sure you can only have 1. If you have 2 they will be in series, so if one is turned right down the other will be almost useless

As far as I remember it you can only have 1 dimmer on a 2 /3 way switching,using standard dimmers. There are ways to do it however in commercial applications but the cables would have to meet at a central panel and the costs would be very expensive,much in the same way that you cannot dim a flourescent light without adding extra gear.

Reply to 2 way and intermediate switching in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi all, Hopefully just a quick one, but I can't seem to find a definite answer. Will a push to break/make (ie not momentary) 2 way retractive...
Replies
Views
Hi all, currently doing a job at a house where there are 3 switches In the hallway to control the hall lights. All 1 gang switches, one at...
Replies
Views
I'm looking for a floodlight (preferably 50w), that can be dimmable with a standard led dimmer switch (probably a varilight v-pro). All I can...
Replies
Views
I was at a customers house changing a socket and they asked me a question about their lights. Some of the lights in the house suddenly get...
Replies
Views
Hi All, Pretty comfortable with wiring lighting until I came across needing to install 2 way dimming with a Retractive switch. I didn’t even know...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock