Discuss 2 way speed potentiometer in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi guys...
Just been to have a quick look at a job, literally had 2 mins to have a gander as its a last minute job and they were closing...

They basically want a stop/start at the other end of the conveyor (theres already one at the end naturally) and to accompany that, a second pot to control the speed. Im not totally unfamiliar with drives but im not an expert by any means, but i can tell you it was only basic.

I figured have the live on each pot switched on like a 2 way some how (relay) then the other 2 wires (slider and neg.) just wired as if it was in parallel?

I haven't told the customer i can do it yet so I'm not too worried if this isn't possible...

Any drive can have only one speed demand at a time, switching between two pots gives you the problem that they can (and probably will ) be set at two different speeds. If your customer can live with that, then ok. You must connect the wiper of each pot to the switch NC and NO, and the common of the switch to the drive. Pot supply and ground in parallel. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Thanks for that, i think ill go ahead with that. To be honest i doubt they'll be too bothered with the speed change, it doesn't go that fast really anyway and the generally have it at full speed and only slow it to give the guy chance at the bottom to catch up... Thanks stef

There is a way to do this. But the speed control will switch between the start/stop stations depending on which starts the drive first.
If the speed is governed by one guys work speed it would make sense (to me anyway) for him to have control of start/stop/speed, the other end just having a stop facility.

I agree but if the customer wants it doing, and it can be done, im not going to say no... Ive drawn it all down now, roughly and switching the slider on a no/nc rotary switch is the way forward i think :)

I agree but if the customer wants it doing, and it can be done, im not going to say no... Ive drawn it all down now, roughly and switching the slider on a no/nc rotary switch is the way forward i think :)

Reply to 2 way speed potentiometer in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock