Discuss 2 Way Switch help! One switch immobilises the other in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am a DIY'er renovating my 60s built house. I have been adding sockets myself and fitting new lights with no problems so far until I try to replace the 2 way switches at the top and bottom of my staircase. I just want to change the switches and keep the existing 2 way circuit in place.

The switches I have removed are old metal ones (terminals unlabeled) and I have replaced both with 2 way plastic switches. Although I have replicated exactly how I removed the old ones, I have an issue where each switch works ok individually, however when one is active, the other is immobilised.

Here is a description of the wiring. Socket 1 (upstairs) has 3 core blue yellow and red plus 2 core red and black. Socket 2 (downstairs) has just 3 core blue yellow and red. On both sockets I have connected the 3 core reds to coms, Blues to 2way and yellows to 1 way. In Socket 1 I have connected 2 core red to the 1 way terminal, and 2 core black to the 2 way terminal....following diagrams and videos online.

Where have I gone wrong? I read that in my instance the 2 core supply may be a switched live??? This is where I get lost. Help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

OK. in the downstairs switch wire the 3 core any way you like. then in the upstairs switch wire the other end the same. e.g red to C, yellow to L1 and blue to L2.then the twin red/black go 1 in L1 and 1 in L2, either way round. ( I'mm assuming to understand L1 as 1 way,L2 as 2 way. )

make sure cpc's (earths), if present, are terminated into the metal back boxes

OK. in the downstairs switch wire the 3 core any way you like. then in the upstairs switch wire the other end the same. e.g red to C, yellow to L1 and blue to L2.then the twin red/black go 1 in L1 and 1 in L2, either way round. ( I'mm assuming to understand L1 as 1 way,L2 as 2 way. )

make sure cpc's (earths), if present, are terminated into the metal back boxes

This is exactly what I have done which is why i am baffled as to why it doesn't work....

So, when the upstairs switch (with the 3 core and 2 core?) is in 1 position, the downstairs switch can control the light, and when the upstairs switch is in the other position, the light remains off? If so, it sounds like either the yellow or blue cores are damaged (maybe snapped where you have bent them in the back box) or badly terminated. The quickest way to find the fault would be with a continuity tester.

As others have said, it would probably be wise to get an electrician involved sooner rather than later. You don't sound 100percent sure you know what you are doing. It can be very easy to follow a guide and match up the colours etc, but there are a lot of other considerations to make, especially with adding sockets. It may well work, but you need to be satisfied that it is safe.

Something is obviously wrong so options are 1/ keep changing them round till it works or 2/call an electrician who will probably sort it in about a minute

You probably read up on what you are allowed to do as a diyer as well just to cover yourself

This is exactly what I have done which is why i am baffled as to why it doesn't work....
The way you've described it should work. Try switching the light upstairs, then downstairs, then upstairs again, then downstairs again. Failing that try posting some pictures.

The way you've described it should work. Try switching the light upstairs, then downstairs, then upstairs again, then downstairs again. Failing that try posting some pictures.
jeez, OP's legs will be huting after that. time to sit down, have a beer, call in a local spark, give him a beer. job done for <£40.

DIY sparks are my favourite. Endanger themselves and their family to save a few quid but most importantly give us a good laugh on here

Despite your description of how you connected the "Switches" (not sockets), it sounds like you have connected either the live or switched live of the 2-core to the wrong switch terminal upstairs.

Nothing wrong a bit of advice at this level - nice one Tel for offering it.
Where do we stop - do we stop people working on their cars or bikes? Etc.

Nothing wrong a bit of advice at this level - nice one Tel for offering it.
Where do we stop - do we stop people working on their cars or bikes? Etc.
I take your point to a degree. I have always done everything for myself, and of course it should be encouraged. Thing is, not everyone is up to it? If this scenario was the brakes on a car/bike then would we be so full of admiration? It is a dangerous thing in the wrong hands when all is said and done, some of the clueless souls on here (I am not pointing the finger at this guy in particular) make your eyes water, and I have to question sometimes if it should be encouraged. Where do we draw the line? It's OK saying "it's just a light switch" but, apparently, lighting circuits are responsible for the majority of domestic shock incidents.

OP - I'd just double check that you've used the red of the three core as common at both switches and not accidentally used the twin red upstairs, apart from that it would have to be a dodgy connection or faulty switch as far as I can see.

Reply to 2 Way Switch help! One switch immobilises the other in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock