Discuss 2 way switch in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Hi there. Im a 1st year apprentice and I know how to wire a 1way switch..........now i want to know how to wire a 2way. Then after that, i suppose its the intermediate switch!! Could someone post a wiring diagram of a 2way switch please.

appreciate your help
kallam

Two way + intermediate switching using 3c/e

Ultimate Handyman: three way light switching

Two way switching using 3c/e

Ultimate Handyman: two way light switching

The above are pretty much the norm these days, but you could use a JB & terminal strip that isnt so common now.

hiya easy fox. i am correct in saying these are the conversion methods of a lighitng circuit diagram?

regards luke

Yes they are, but now seem to be used as standard installation practise for 2way lighting.
Quite a bit easyier than using the JB method.

Thought I'd dig up an old thread instead of starting a new one.

I don't feel I have ever properly learned two way and intermediate switching and I really need to sort this out. I am almost OK with 2 way switching as long as the 3 plate method is used on the light fittings. But I am second fixing a house at the moment where the lights have been wired with the mains going to the switch and not three plated at the light. Can anyone show me any diagrams of how to do these.

Thanks.

The same way - take a 3 core between switches, then at one switch permanent live and switched live to L1 and L2. The only differences are the 2 wires going to the light are switched live and neutral, the permanent live coming straight in from elsewhere.
The intermediate is done exactly the same way - strappers into the switch, common in terminal block.

Conduit method neutral and earth to the light fitting , two strappers one to L1 of the 1st switch to L1 of the 2nd switch ,the other t o L2 of the first switch and to L2 of the 2nd switch , permernant live to common of the 1st switch and from the common of the 2nd switch to the light fitting. and if the switch requires an earth ,drop an earth to it

Last edited by a moderator:
This is my version of events.

From incoming supply into a 4 terminal block - neutral [blue] direct to lamp holder, line [brown] to L2 of first switch.

3 and earth between switches - common [grey] to L1 of both switches {or direct connection between first and last if intermediate switching of 3 or more switches is required}

Brown to L2 {together with brown from supply terminal block to switch 1} to L2 of switch 2.

Black to L3 { together with blue [switch live] from switch 1 returning to terminal block} to L3 of switch 2.

Remember all conductors to have brown sleeving.

Hope this makes sense.

Don't panic when you get zero readings when undertaking Insulation Resistance tests due to at least 2 cables making contact when the switches are operated. Repeat IR tests with switch positions changed to confirm satisfactory results.

Good luck

Conversion method

2 way switch {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Conventional method

Two way & intermediate switching coventional method

Two way and intermediate conversion method

I still have to draw myself a picture to remind myself each time. It's not something I do very often (once a year?) Ifind understanding what switches what helps a lot!!

Hi there question about intermediate can someone tell me how to wire an intermediate switch with the switch live there or a diagram would be great thanks in advance.

Onece you have connected the switching up as in diagram make sure on sw 1 the feed goes line - L1, swL - L2 ! if your having problems did you wire it yourself ? or was this an alteration from 1 or 2w switching ? or was it already there ? ( remember sometimes you can find only N switched ) make sure you have good connections if need pull out cables and reconnect them ! you might have over tightend them and broke a wire or the terminal screw might be biting on the flex ! if all's ok check at lamp and i know it sounds silly but check bulb.
Hope this helps !
kung.

Reply to 2 way switch in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock