Discuss 2 way switches instead of one way in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi boys and girls.
I have been flying around my house and I have been seeing a lot of two way switches used instead of when a one way is only needed. All the rooms have a single light bulb that would need controlling by a one way, but why do i have 2 ways. Their omitted the L2 and only connected L1 and common. Cheers. I thought the electricians were qualified and knew what they were doing.

Hi boys and girls.
I have been flying around my house and I have been seeing a lot of two way switches used instead of when a one way is only needed. All the rooms have a single light bulb that would need controlling by a one way, but why do i have 2 ways. Their omitted the L2 and only connected L1 and common. Cheers. I thought the electricians were qualified and knew what they were doing.

Nothing wrong with using a 2 way switch as a one way. No need to use L2 if you don't need it. The electricians know what they are doing - leave them to it.

As above. And begs the question - what has made you think it's appropriate to take them off the walls to have made this 'discovery'?

Yeah I know but still its not accurate to use 2 way, i know it will still work but it is more expensive compared to one way. Saving money is very good, very good.
Nothing wrong with using a 2 way switch as a one way. No need to use L2 if you don't need it. The electricians know what they are doing - leave them to it.

I had to take the switches off the wall because i wanted to check whats inside them. Im using a neon test light too and it sometimes give tingling. Im basically a mini electrician.

You shouldn't be getting a tingling. If I were you I wouldn't remove any more switches or sockets. If you have a problem then get an electrician in for your own safety.

Where I can see you think it’s more cost effective to fit one way switches where needed isn’t always the case ! Maybe the supplier only had two way and the delay in waiting would have cost more or maybe they got a better deal for bulk buying two ways there are loads of reasons the fact remains the electricians have done what they were requested to do and obviously it wasn’t a problem as their bill was presumably paid!
I think the only real problem here is someone thinking they are a mini electrician that maybe shouldn’t be poking around with things they only think they know all about.
Only my opinion like but if I had been the spark that had done the work and saw you slating their work which there is nothing wrong with them your problems may only have been starting 🤔😜

I had to take the switches off the wall because i wanted to check whats inside them. Im using a neon test light too and it sometimes give tingling. Im basically a mini electrician.
STOP. You are clearly well beyond your capabilities and understanding - so STOP before the next thing we get to read is a newspaper clip that says man in Harpenden found electrocuted at home.

STOP. You are clearly well beyond your capabilities and understanding - so STOP before the next thing we get to read is a newspaper clip that says man in Harpenden found electrocuted at home.
true, i give up ty for telling me... :( ill just call someone certified
yeah but before i check i always turn off the breaker so im secured, thing tingling was a joke

also is a floating earth bad?
should i leave it like that or should i get a electrician in?

true, i give up ty for telling me... :( ill just call someone certified
yeah but before i check i always turn off the breaker so im secured, thing tingling was a joke

also is a floating earth bad?
should i leave it like that or should i get a electrician in?

What do you mean by a floating earth? If it is a loose connection them that may have been caused when you removed the switch. Please be careful.

Do you have RCD protection on these circuits?

What do you mean by a floating earth? If it is a loose connection them that may have been caused when you removed the switch. Please be careful.

yes all of them are rcd protected. Ok yes i booked a appointment with a electrician see what he will say. ty m8
thanks for telling me be careful, you are good !

My guess is the CPC of the 6242Y unattached in the class II switch enclosure.....

If Tingling was a joke, then that is fine then.
I wont be scaring you too like others.
To answer your question: As an electrician, I do not go to BnQ every time I have to buy a switch. I keep box of single switches in a car and as I am running out, I get another box. In the cheaper brands Like LAP or DIAL (cheaper by manufacturing not cost for custommer) they might save at best 5p, which isn't worth time looking for a right switch and having to carry another box of Spares. (Remember its plumbers who have bigger toolboxes and like to carry lot of stuff with them).
Because its not worth for electrician to carry yet another type of switch, trader brands like Click, Niglon, Eurolex don't bother even making 1 way switches.

Reply to 2 way switches instead of one way in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net