Discuss 2 way switching configuration HELP in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Good evening All,

After perusing the forum as a visitor for a while I have now found the need to ask you ladies and gents for your help and advice.

I have a customer with 2 way switching controlling the 1st floor landing light, it consists of a 2 gang switch downstairs (hallway & landing) and 1 gang upstairs, standard.

The problem is that the downstairs switch has been removed with intent to replace it with a decorative one and I cannot work out how to wire it back up.

It is not what I know as 'standard' 2 way wiring....

Upstairs switch (untouched) has -

(2 x neutrals in a connector block),
3 x reds in L1,
2 x blacks in L2,
1 x red in COM.

Downstairs switch has (all now disconnected) -

Downstairs light (1 way) -
1 x red
1 x black

Spare (all now disconnected) -
1 x red
1 x black

He also mentioned there was a piece of red wire about 1 inch long in the switch that hedropped....would this be a bridge of some kind?

I take it this is wired in T&E? if so, which red goes with which black as it disappears into the wall at each switch?
You'll need to dead test the cables, work out what goes where by drawing a diagram.

I know what you mean by non 'standard' 2 way.... There's no 3 core&E which helps.

The red link will be needed.

The downstairs switch seems to be t&e, one for the hallway light (1 way) and one for the upstairs light (2way) I can get it so that they both work from downstairs in a 1 way set up (red/com & black/L1) but the upstairs switch has what looks like 2 x 3 cores and 1 x t&e.....

Any chance you could add a photo of both switches.

It sounds like you have two wire two way switching but someone has used the cpc as a neutral.
I think you should start working out how to wire it safely with the existing cables used correctly, which should be possible but does depend on the split of circuits of the lights whether you can cross over.

Is that single red in the upstairs switch part of a 3 core?

If there were 3 cores in there, you'de have yellows and blues to think about.
They've maybe used a twin as strappers….

Looking at the pic.... is there only one cable there with an earth wire?
It should be sleeved.

In the 2 gang switch, is one of them a 2 way?
A 2 way switch needs a cable in each of the 3 terminals.

Just work it out with a continuity testers between line cores and earth if you are unsure. It is a basic 2 way circuit but has the feeds and loads also in the switch. Still same principles.

Identify your common and strapper wires. Terminate common to common. That's two terminations done. Terminate strappers...that's 4 more done. Neutrals already terminated. Now what you are left with are feed and load wires. Feed on L1, load on L2....or vice versa if you like
That link on the downstairs is to link the feed which will be on your feed strapper to common of the one way for the downstairs light (so it has a feed)

You do not have enough cores to be able to wire this safely as two way switching if the downstairs light works on its own and the supply for the upstairs is coming from the upstairs switch.

Downstairs I have the red live feed from the upstairs 'loop' in com with a black switch wire from L1 coming back up and into a connector block upstairs, this is then joined to another black which goes somewhere....

Reply to 2 way switching configuration HELP in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock