Discuss 2 Way switching & intermediate, old to new switches in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
The house renovation is almost done but some of the original 1980's switched have remained and I wanted to swap them out for the MK ones in the new parts of the house. Simple job eh?

So I bought some 2 way switches for the hall (4 switches control the same set of lights); for the snug (2 switches control the same light); and for the jack & jill bathroom (2 switches control the same lights).

This is the rear of the MK 2 way switches I bought...

2 Way switching & intermediate, old to new switches {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Each of the old switches has a different labelling system. Could someone please advise what connections on the old switch equate to which on the new one?

The hall switch (4 switches):

2 Way switching & intermediate, old to new switches {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

The snug switch (2 switches):

The bathroom switch (2 switches) photo rotated 180 to help read:

Many thanks for any help with this.

:yum:

The hall switch is an intermediate switch so you'll need one of those not a 2 way switch. You should have 2 intermediate switches and 2 2 way switches in the hall.

The snug and bathroom switches are 2 way switches, labelled the same as your new replacements, and should be wired as such.

Cheers

what he said ^^^^^.

Thanks, I was thinking the MK switch could be used as an intermediate but although it has four connectors, the one labelled "SP" is actually empty. What's this for?

If I buy the correct MK switch, as here: MK Logic Plus 10AX 1-Gang Intermediate Switch White with White Inserts - https://www.screwflix..com/p/mk-logic-plus-10ax-1-gang-intermediate-switch-white-with-white-inserts/78553#product_additional_details_container
... which wires from the old hall intermediate switches go where? Here's a picture of the correct MK switch...

...and the old one...

Thanks. To identify them, the ones that are 2 way in the hall will have three connections and the intermediates will have four?

One of the four hall switches is a new MK 6 gang in the kitchen so I don't need to touch that, thankfully.

Connect the same as the old one.
Just got around to doing these now. Bought the new intermediate switches as shown in the 2nd from last pic in post #4.

Now, when you say "the same as the old one", the last pic in my post #4 shows the old switch with "red, black" at the top and "red, black" at the bottom. So I just orientate the new switch upright and keep the four wires in the identical locations, yes?

Always best to double check. ;)

Just got around to doing these now. Bought the new intermediate switches as shown in the 2nd from last pic in post #4.

Now, when you say "the same as the old one", the last pic in my post #4 shows the old switch with "red, black" at the top and "red, black" at the bottom. So I just orientate the new switch upright and keep the four wires in the identical locations, yes?

Always best to double check. ;)
if it's right, it willl work. if wrong it won't work properly but it won't go bang. try it as is first and make sure all switches work in every possible configuration.

Reply to 2 Way switching & intermediate, old to new switches in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock